Will N14 springs work on the RNN14?

geoff pine

I would have thought they will be to soft thats if they fit so it would sit even lower i have seen apost where some one fitted gti spring to agtir and it sat to low on the front

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
If you are looking to add ride height, your only option is custom springs. These are quite common with coilovers but for a standard setup you will need to shop around. If you raise too much you might get problems with damper extension.

Standard springs are quite high and are soft enough to work in winter, many R's are lowered, do you know what Sptings you are using?

Trondelond

campbellju said:
If you are looking to add ride height, your only option is custom springs. These are quite common with coilovers but for a standard setup you will need to shop around. If you raise too much you might get problems with damper extension.

Standard springs are quite high and are soft enough to work in winter, many R's are lowered, do you know what Sptings you are using?
I actually have no idea. Which bugs me. So I figured I'd see if I could get some OE ones. But . when I checked with the local dealers, they're about £600 for all four springs, and that is way into coilover country. I don't think coilovers will solve my problem either, since I suspect they will be quite stiff - and that's fine for summer, but during winter.. not so much.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Tein's rates and dampers are good all year round. The OE springs can normally picked up free or for little money through the forum. If your springs are black with coloured dots and the car looks like an off roader then you have OE springs ;-)

Trondelond

I doubt this is how Nissan intended them ;) Only trouble is that the springs are quite heavy, so the shipping would be.. interesting. But - it'll still be cheaper than what they cost here. Besides - should our department of traffic and such decide it's a good idea to call me in for an inspection, it'll be good to have the OE springs. Coilovers without TÜV papers will be rewarded with a hanging at the town square.
I don't know what winters you have - I don't think they're that different from ours, the trouble is that the ice on the roads turns into a washboard, wich doesn't make for a very comfortable ride.

I think I might go with the Apex ones if they prove to be good, if not - Teins.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
There is only way to know what the shipping costs would be but I guess they would be the same for anything you order?

Tein Spings will lower a minimum of 20mm, I bet Apex will be similar. You would have to change springs on the coliovers to get any more ride height. You would have to ship them too ;-)

UK winters are quite different, snow is rare and roads are normally gritted for ice. Scotland can be bad but Scandinavia is worse

Comfort aside, with low grip surface you need softer springs to stop the car turning into a sleigh.

And that was my 2000th post :dance: :dance:

jonesgti_r

standard almera gti springs will work just fine its the same front end so only difference is turbo and ic which isnt much weight. Got them on my R now and ride isnt soft or low

Trondelond

campbellju said:
There is only way to know what the shipping costs would be but I guess they would be the same for anything you order?

Tein Spings will lower a minimum of 20mm, I bet Apex will be similar. You would have to change springs on the coliovers to get any more ride height. You would have to ship them too ;-)

UK winters are quite different, snow is rare and roads are normally gritted for ice. Scotland can be bad but Scandinavia is worse

Comfort aside, with low grip surface you need softer springs to stop the car turning into a sleigh.

And that was my 2000th post :dance: :dance:
You're right about the shipping. Suspension parts will be expensive to ship no matter what. But - the need for OE parts for approval with our departments of traffic won't go away, so I guess I'll have to start with the OE springs (already nagging a forum user for these), and _then_ go for the coilovers.

And it's really a pity that you don't have much snow, the R is endless fun in snowy conditions :D

Congratulations on you 2000th post by the way! :thumbsup:

Trondelond

jonesgti_r said:
standard almera gti springs will work just fine its the same front end so only difference is turbo and ic which isnt much weight. Got them on my R now and ride isnt soft or low
Thanks for the info :)

warringtonjack

Would adding a couple of tein adjustable topmounts to the fronts not rise the ride height by about 30mm? Obviously you have the issue of a 'nose up - ass down' set up then though. :?