Will My Engine be OK without...

R

riske

Can i start my engine without the intercooler attached to the turbo?

Its off the road atm and just want to start it every month or so. Not gonna drive it anywhere.
Surely it would act like an N/A engine without the intercooler attached?? Let me know.

cheers:thumbsup:

GTIR-LOZ

you would need to attach the turbo outlet to the plenum as otherwise it wont be able to read the airflow right and as above will run like sh1t

P

pulsarboby

you would need to temporarily fit the afm so it runs directly to the inlet body / plenum itll run fine then

snap loz but with a different train of thought:lol::lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
R

riske

So it would run and not cause damage but just run like shit? Im cool with that cause just wanna get it started now and then...

I have seen a few people running the afm on the inlet side of the IC instead of by the air filter. They say it runs alot better. What would i need to do to do this. I obviously just cut the cooler pipe and insert. Are the fittings different?

Cheers again.

CARLGTIR

I dont think it would do any good to the engine at all, from what I remember it effects the fueling and ECU??

O

Odin

Mine used to run fine with out the inter cooler attached but I had the advantage of using a map sensor instead of the standard MAF set up.

As others have said unless you run it through the maf it will run shit.

Rob

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
I had to run mine without intercooler for around 5-10mins, ticks over like a pig, but it will run.

R

riske

Yeah thats all i wanna do just tick it over. BUT DONT wanna damage the car, obviously.

Rob whats this map sensor you speak of?

R

riske

ah ok.

I just dont wanna damage my engine if i let it tick over for couple of mins....

Braveheart

ah ok.

I just dont wanna damage my engine if i let it tick over for couple of mins....
imoa, best just leave it.... no need to start it, let it tick over for a few minutes then switch it off again.
How long do you plan to have it sitting?

T

the kickboxer

it'll over fuel like crap, risks of bore wash, low tickover from cold risks from oil pressure just do it properly or not at all if you want to be safe.

stumo

The best thing you can do is change the oil and filter and get some fogging oil from a boat chandlers.

With the engine running , use the straw supplied to direct the spray past the AFM sensor and let it spray for a minute or two then switch off the engine.

This will coat all the internal parts with oil and you shouldn't need to start it again until you need to.

THE WORST thing you can do is to keep starting the engine and not running it for long enough to get up to temperature and keeping it there.

You need to have the engine running (when hot enough) for a while otherwise it will be like a granny going to the shops once a week and the engine never gets hot enough....and we all know about those sorts of engines....

R

riske

Dont worry lads im getting a new intercooler Friday. Thanks loads for the help!
Im keeping it off the road for about 5 months so i can afford to get it rebuilt properly and new turbo, mani, water intercooler. Once i get the intercooler on it'll be fine to start.

Cheers