Wich A/R GT3071R?

Whollahii

I know there's a houndred threats about the 3071R, but I can't find a good answer for my question..

I recently bought the Gt3071R with A/R .86 Compressor housing. But I have the opportunity to change to a .64 but can't decide if it's worth it.

The car is pretty much stock today, except for FPR and FMIC, been running the standard turbo on 1,4 bar for a while but suspect it wont last forever on that boost...

Along with the new turbo I will fit a set of 600cc, walbro pump, and aftermarket ECU. And get a proper map.

How much faster spool up can I except from the smaller housing? And how much will I loose in the top end?
Will it be really laggy with the big housing or is the difference not that big of a deal? And compared to the stock turbo, how much more laggy will the 3071 with the .86 be? Will a custom exhaust manifold speed up the spool up?

Or should I get it mapped with the stock Turbo?
My goal is somewhere around 370-400 hp.

Fred05

i think it will be as a GT2860RS, so you will spool faster from 2.5k rpm and you will be able to hit 370bhp max....

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Size the turbo for what you need rather than what you think you want. If you want 450hp then a .86 is better. I ran a .64 at this level but I wouldn't do it again. If you want 400hp then a .64 is in it's sweet spot.

Do you have uprated engine or gearbox? If not then either turbo will quickly find failure points.

Whollahii

Size the turbo for what you need rather than what you think you want. If you want 450hp then a .86 is better. I ran a .64 at this level but I wouldn't do it again. If you want 400hp then a .64 is in it's sweet spot.

Do you have uprated engine or gearbox? If not then either turbo will quickly find failure points.

Well, no, the engine and gearbox is still stock.. Regarding the gearboxi figured I'd run it stock until it gives up, and get a PAR or quaife gearset..
Regarding the engine I was planning to running it stock for now, but to stay a bit under 400hp.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Well, no, the engine and gearbox is still stock.. Regarding the gearboxi figured I'd run it stock until it gives up, and get a PAR or quaife gearset..
Regarding the engine I was planning to running it stock for now, but to stay a bit under 400hp.
Don't do it then, it will end in tears. We fitted a 2871 to Andy's car recently and on it's first proper outing it lasted half a track day. Get the basics right first. Consider a 3" front pipe as your first step. It will free up HP and turbo response and be a good step towards an uprated turbo in the future.

Whollahii

Don't do it then, it will end in tears. We fitted a 2871 to Andy's car recently and on it's first proper outing it lasted half a track day. Get the basics right first. Consider a 3" front pipe as your first step. It will free up HP and turbo response and be a good step towards an uprated turbo in the future.
Maybe I'm better off getting a proper map with the stock turbo for now then.. I'm running full 3" exhaust today.

What are the most important mods to get the engine to hold up for that much power?

vpulsar

Maybe I'm better off getting a proper map with the stock turbo for now then.. I'm running full 3" exhaust today.

What are the most important mods to get the engine to hold up for that much power?

Cooling & correct fueling end of story.

I ran 400 bhp for over two years on a box standard engine but you must have very good cooling for both oil and water, I had a big 53mm koyo rad but one of the slightly thicker cooper ones will be just as good but you must replace the standard Nissan one it's rubbish, I also fitted an oil cooler & had very good fueling due to running a Motec M48 pro ECU but you can achieve something just as good with the Nistune that's what I'm using on my new car.

Also it's important to have an efficient inter cooler whether it's a top mount or front mount this time I'm using a re-cored top mount last time I used a charge cooler but you choose your weapon of choice it's your car matey.

Rob

Last edited:

Whollahii

Cooling & correct fueling end of story.

I ran 400 bhp for over two years on a box standard engine but you must have very good cooling for both oil and water, I had a big 53mm koyo rad but one of the slightly thicker cooper ones will be just as good but you must replace the standard Nissan one it's rubbish, I also fitted an oil cooler & had very good fueling due to running a Motec M48 pro ECU but you can achieve something just as good with the Nistune that's what I'm using on my new car.

Also it's important to have an efficient inter cooler whether it's a top mount or front mount this time I'm using a re-cored top mount last time I used a charge cooler but you choose your weapon of choice it's your car matey.

Rob

Great advices!

Will definitely get a better rad then. And look into an oil cooler. Got a big FMIC mounted today. Will be using NIRA aftermarket ECU and get it mapped in Sweden by a firm known for building/mapping high spec rally cars so I hope they can give me a proper map.

Thanks!

bracpan

If the engine and box are still stock what clutch are you running ? please dont say standard!!!
Just sell your car and buy mine,,,,its all done....

Whollahii

If the engine and box are still stock what clutch are you running ? please dont say standard!!!
Just sell your car and buy mine,,,,its all done....
No the clutch is not standard. The previous owner uprated it.

If there were any good condition, all done R's here in Sweden I would have bought it but there are only a few rolling on the Swedish roads..