Why?

J

Jonny_gti-r

Why is my coolent resevoir emptying itself down to the minimum level all the time? The radiator fans work fine so it shouldn't be boiling up but i have noticed it going over the overflow from the header tank. The water looks a little murky too.

Can anyone offer me any advice/suggestions for what to look for?

Help very much appreciated

Jon.

paz

Simple reply would be check that you don't have a coolent leak, my water kept going down and it turned out I had two minor leaks - one where the thermostat is (on the block type position) where the hose was loose, and one because my water pump was shagged.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Paz

J

Jonny_gti-r

cheers Paz

Think i'll have a look at it tonight. If my water pump was shagged how would i know (sorry if this is a simpleton question :oops: )

cheers

Jon

paz

It might make more noise than usual (although if its been dodgy for a while you might not notice). I'll be a bit more specific though :lol: - when I say it was shagged, it had developed a leak. Essentially it was still working, but was just leaking water out.

I'm not mechanic, so I couldn't tell you how to see (other than I guess check the pump when the car is cold and see if its leaking I guess :lol:), but I know my mechanic noticed it straight away ;)

Paz

A

AJ4

The 'max' value on the expansion tank is for when the water is hot, if you fill it to the max level when its cold, as soon as the engine gets up to temp it blows the rest out, leaving it on min when it cools down again ;)