why z32 maf

sharpygti

hello, why does every put the z32 maf on the R? is it just becuz it bigger to let more air in? or is the sensor part something to do with it?

Spikey

the stock maf cant handle the amount of air needed for higher boost levels. Ever heard of fuel cuts? when you accelerate and then all of a sudden you head butt the wind screen :) Z32 maf can cope with more air.

stumo

It's got nothing to do with fuel cuts, the pulsar doesn't do that.

Above 330ish HP the std MAF is maxed out, if your producing more than that you will need a MAF that can measure the amount of air correctly so that you can setup the fuel map correctly.

sharpygti

ah ok, so the sensor has alot to do with it. i didnt no if it was just becuz it was bigger. i was looking around the garage and came across a maf from a almera gti i had. its alot bigger than the R one and wondered if it would do the same as the z32

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Are they different types of air-flow meter?
The standard one is a hot-wire MAF (mass air-flow) isn't it? Is the Z32 the same technology; it's definitely not MAP (manifold absolute pressure), and I doubt it's got vanes in it? There's always a change that it's a Karman vortex (like in an EVO), but I suspect that Nissan use the same technology for everything.

Fusion Ed

Nissan use the same on everything generally. Although some early Nissans (Cherry turbo) use a flap sensor iirc. The Almera MAF is capable of around 290bhp which is less than the stock gtir one.

Jamaala1

Sorry to thread jack. Does Nistune allow the use of Cobra Maf? The reason I ask, fellow friends of mine have incorporated the Z32 maf on their setups and no matter what they leak. Any ideas ladies/guys?

Fusion Ed

Yes I think people are using the cobra maf. (its not a nistune specific feature) But the Cobra (500hp) and Lightning (700hp) mafs are included in nistune

katemc

so you could stick a lightning maf on a nistune ecu?
If so where can i get one , and you fitted any edd?

shroom

would you gain anything by using a z32 if you hade just a few mods
well as stumo said if you want to go over 330 bhp or so then yes but if you dont then no, its just a supporting mod to help you go further as things max out

Fusion Ed

Not fitted any personally. Id look on ebay i guess search for a ford lightning airfloe meter. You may get lucky.