whiteline 4 point lower brace

A

Anonymous

hey all,
has anyone got the whiteline 4 point lower brace on with the mongoose?
if so does it fit better then the cusco one ie- does it not rub against the goose?
and do you know if it sits lower then the cusco one.
planning on lowering the car 2" so I dont want it to be too low...

Luke

Iv got a whiteline brace a 3" exhaust should fit fine (the brace was designed with 3" inch piping in mind).

Iv also got adjustable suspension so the height of my car wasnt a problem, the brace does hang quite low almost a little to low in my opinion.

If you've only lowered 2" from factory it should be o.k i think. :wink:

Im going to get heavier duty bump stops put in my front shocks so it doesnt hit the ground so much. Mine was hitting the ground so i had to raise the car up a bit my car was pretty low though. :roll:

A

Anonymous

thanks for that. so how much lower then the sump or the main bar under the car does it hang????
by law here the lowest part of the car cant be anylower then 10cm to the ground.....
and I dont wanna get it if its slamming against the ground all the time..
does anyone have anypics of it on the car from like front on so i can see how low it hangs??

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
gtir_luke said:
by law here the lowest part of the car cant be anylower then 10cm to the ground.....
Anyone invented the hover car yet? that'll keep those pesky wheels off the ground. :p :wink:

P

pschurr

Yeah Luke. I have installed it. I lowered the car with Apexi springs, and the thing banged and scraped - especially on B-grade roads at speed. I tightened up the dampers a little, and don't travel as hard on public roads and its fine. Mine car is largely for the track anyway, but I am too low for legal purposes (in Aus anyway).

I can say this though. It stiffens up steering so well. And it is bloody durable. I've beaten the crap outta mine - including re-grading some dirt tracks up near Maffra - and it (the brace) is still very solid.

I'll measure up how low it is off the sump and advise.

peter

O.k i measured it off the gearbox/diff housing and the brace is about 60cm down from that. (passenger side)

Cant measure it down from the sump as the sump is further forward.

We have a 100mm clearance law here in NZ when i initialy installed the brace with my car low i had about 50mm of clearance which was to low it scraped a bit to much.

I raised the car and now i have 65mm of clearance and that seems to be o.k screw the WOF test.

I reckon if i get harder bump stops i'll be able to drop the car down a bit.
It only bottoms out when your suspension goes thru full travel.

A

Anonymous

ok thanks for that.. will wait untill i get the car lowered this thursday. have a feeling if its that low i wont get over the bump in my driveway,, if the brace is that low.... basiclly from my measurments the brace will only be around 2.5cm - 5 cm off the ground roughly after the car is lowered which is very low considering the car gets a lot of thrashings around the mountain roads which are all over the place....

P

pschurr

Ouch !!!

Just (almost) killed my brace.

Ran it into a concreted appendage on the floor of a mechanics workshop. It is used to lock the roller-door down.

At slow speed.... BANG.

Bent the centre of the brace north, but not into the engine. Car still feels good, but I suspect that I have a little toe-in on both front wheels now. Also I've now got a little exhaust-pipe rattle on the brace at 3krpm.

Brace is still solid.... its a strong barstard.

Going to the Phillip Island for Super Sprints tomorrow too. Spewing!

peter

A

ard1ey

Hi,

I've got the 4-point brace with a Mongoose exhaust and Whiteline springs. There's no problem with clearance for the exhaust, but the ground clearance for the brace is daft :D

I can't park 2 up 2 down unless the cars almost hanging off the kerb, it couldn't be jacked up for its MOT (had to remove it) and if the road has sudden bumps it'll crash out on the brace, as you'd expect. I can also ground it out under braking as well if there's wheel ruts in the road.

Really improves the handling, tho - time for some coilovers, methinks.

Ian

M

memski

ard1ey said:
Hi,

I've got the 4-point brace with a Mongoose exhaust and Whiteline springs. There's no problem with clearance for the exhaust, but the ground clearance for the brace is daft :D

I can't park 2 up 2 down unless the cars almost hanging off the kerb, it couldn't be jacked up for its MOT (had to remove it) and if the road has sudden bumps it'll crash out on the brace, as you'd expect. I can also ground it out under braking as well if there's wheel ruts in the road.

Really improves the handling, tho - time for some coilovers, methinks.

Ian
I have none of those problems with my cusco 4pt brace but god knows how I will get a 3" exhaust fitted (and whether I will even be able to keep it :cry: ).

gtiroz

Administrator
Staff member
yeah it backfired on em i reckon...

it was specifically designed to clear all possible 3" exhaust system configurations (so as not to limit their precious market)
but of course having it so low makes it totally unfeasible for the vast majority of owners (lol)

ftr: the main reason it is so rediculously low - one of the 3 cars used for the measurements happened to have a stupidly gigantic fat flex pipe section right where the brace sits - so we can all blame them :):evil: (i know i do)

i have front coilovers set to the professional japanese engineers fully funded researched optimum geometrically correct gtir car height (ie. factory) and rear uprated springs - also at factory height - and no clearance issues (not to mention awesome rigid handling) 8)

but i really dont like how you can see it sticking out under the car - especially when it's gold :(
and i'm pretty sure i'll still be able to make it scuff when i try out some dirt & gravel events next year...

shalom
[when teenagers in their evo-bodykitted fwd lancers slammed-to-the-max point and laugh do you think i care?]

A

AZ STE

I have a cusco 4 point lower which doesnt sit too low BUT I had to heat my Mongoose down tube cherry red whilst on a garage lift then put a prop below it and drop the lift down to push the Mongoose up and it took some doing ok now though :D

j10gtr

Ive got the whiteline 4 point brace aswell and with the 16's on the brace will ground out on most b roads and occassionally A roads. I dont know what the roads are like in aus but the brace isnt much use for our roads especially on a lowerd R.

Its a real shame as the brace performs very well from a handling point of view and untill i noticed how low it was and how often it grounds i was very impressed with it.

Thanks
Paul

C

caz

Sorry to bring up an old post but I had a feelin this might be the case with Ground Clearance. Does the CUSCO one give you any BETTER clearance :? :?:

skiddusmarkus

It doesn't catch on b roads on mine(koni&whiteline lowering springs)but if you get the car to lift a little going over bumps(more specificly jumps)then it can bottom out.