Whirring noise when cold

Keira

Noticed it a couple of times before but today it sounded worse, when i start the car there is a whirring noise coming from the pulley side of the engine, i'd say that its only started since i took the aircon off as i never noticed it before.

I'm sure i've read that the alternator bearing can go, is it likely to be that or something else. ie. oil pump/power steering pump on its way out.

Oil temps are ok and i'm not losing fluid.

When the car is warm it doesn't do it.

A

Anonymous

Not sure if it is the same situation i had once, everytime i started the car up there was a screeching noise coming from the engine bay, turned out to be fan belts need changing.

J

J-GTi-R

My powersteering pump used to make whirring noises when the car was cold. I was going to replace it, but oddly it stopped happening.

SickBoy

i have exactly the same problem but i was at mikes ( ex gtir ) we took all the belts off but it still made the same noise then goes away when warm

O

Olly

I'd suspect the alternator, mine did this for alittle while (probably the tension on the belt being changed about when you had the A/C pump off may of disturbed and finished it off) Mines was nosiey when cold then went quiet, then I gave it some nanna and pulled away from some lights and big bangings (thought I'd spun a brg down below) had a look and could see metal filings shouting out in the dark with my torch. :oops: :lol:

Keira

Cheers chaps, thought it was likely to be the alternator, i'll have a fiddle with the belts, although i had a poke around yesterday and i wouldn't say it was overly tight.

Does anyone know if a normal nissan sunny alternator will fit or is that wishful thinking ?

C

charlie

perhaps its the cold weather, as mines just started doing this when cold :?:

A

Anonymous

perhaps its the cold weather, as mines just started doing this when cold
Hehe going into my 2nd winter of R ownership I have noticed a couple of noises that are only present in the cold weather. Once spring is here they go into hibernation for another season.

Dan

Keira

I've given the alternator pulley a good squirt of wd40 and at the moment have no more noise.

Going to investigate the other model sunny alternator cos i know where there is one, unless someone knows its different ????

Keira

charlie boy said:
perhaps its the cold weather, as mines just started doing this when cold :?:
After one of my regular telephone consultations with ex-gtir and the fact that i've found a little puddle of water down by the drivers side front wheel, it would look like its the water pump causing it on my car not the alternator.

You might want to keep a close eye on yours.