which one ? hmm

stugtir

iv currently upgrading my turbo and after discovering that most turbo rebuilders in this country take the piss on wot they charge for a basic stage 1 turbo ive decided to get one one from the states.

ive come across two turbos that are on the shortlis, and wondered if any of you guys can give me any feedback on which one to go for?

the company?

the spec of the turbo?

has anyone used them before?

reliability etc.

http://www.turbocalculator.com/sale-garrett-gt.php

this is the first candidate the GT28R

http://www.jgycustoms.com/gtir/turbos.htm

and the second is the GT28RS (disco potato)

any of your views would be appreciated

cheers stu

Dan_GTiR

It's just the nickname they gave to that particular turbo.

Don't know why. Would be quite funny to see a 'Dancing Spud' though

Dan. :)

G

GTiRsalter

on that site it says the GT2871R is $1,195.00 plus shipping at $135 then add import duty and tax is gonna be about $1500-$1600

O

Odin

Well I have a mail from them telling me otherwise matey.

Rob,

The biggest bolt-on Garrett ball bearing turbo that will bolt on to your gti-r manifold is the GT25/40R, but you'll have to do some clearancing to make space for the big compressor housing. The GT2871R is rated at 400 HP, but it spools up much faster than the GT25/40R and is much easier to fit into the engine. We highly recommend the GT2871R over the GT25/40R as it is a much better matched turbo.

Either one is available for $1150 to your door.

Cheers,
ATP

As far as tax goes you can ask them to mark down the value to say $200
so you only pay tax on that.

rob

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
I've got the GTRS with the .64 turbine housing fitted to mine and although the spool up is good and lag is practically none existant, I do feel it would benifit from the .86 housing. It feels as though the power platau's at about 5500rpm.
I spoke to Craig at Turbo Dynamics who supplied my turbo and asked what difference increasing the turbine to .86 would make, he agreed that it would spool up slightly slower, say 3 - 500rpm but would pull harder further up the rev range. So the choice is yours.
It will cost me about £150 exchange to swap the 2 turbine housings over.

stugtir

just fitted my gt28 rs this weekend! other than having to fabricate new bracket for actuator and try and get the 3inch inlet to clear the block it wasnt too bad! :roll:

i went for the .64 too as ATP told me i would have full boost about 6-800rpm sooner than the .86!

im still fabricating the pipe run so it should be ready by japshow :roll:

one thing i wasnt too sure on though was how much preload to put on the actuator?

Any of you guys clued up on setting up my avcr/ safc as ive been quoted silly amounts of wonga for a setup and as i dont have the manuals for them i aint got a feckin clue how to set the things up! :cry:

stu

O

Odin

GINGA said:
one thing i wasnt too sure on though was how much preload to put on the actuator?
1/2 a hole is about right
You never let me in on this little secret did you :cry: :shock: .

good job that's the way i fitted then wasn't it :roll: :wink:

rob