Which Cam? and other headwork.

D

DOT2DOT

Ok im currently in the process of getting my head fixed. It threw off rockers on cyl1 inlet and cyl4 exhaust. Lost a couple of shims so im gonna have to get new ones anyway. I also want to get all the threads re-tapped and get new oil seals etc etc. For this im probably gonna take the head to a professional head builder.
My pal also very kindly snapped my exhaust cam, so im thinking about replacing this with a set of HKS items or similar. Are HKS cams good? Is it ok to do this on standard valves, springs, sprockets etc??? Or will i need to uprate other parts at the same time?? I really cant afford to do everything. Whats do you guys think???

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
You really need to think about what you are asking...

We need to know your engine spec and runnining setup, turbo spec, boost you run at etc... Then we can give you an idea of what spec cams to go for...

Rishi

D

DOT2DOT

Its standard at the minite and is gonna basically stay that way for a while mechanically. Im planning on running 1.1 bar and using safc2. Just while im rebuilding the head and the cams need replaced anyway is it worth firing in a set of performance items? even if im not buying vernier sprockets and if I do will I need valve springs etc?

ashills

a set of 264 hks cams is a common upgrade on the standard engine and give a little gain
really depends if u have plans for future etc to go further if so then maybe look at 272's now save another change latter on

D

DOT2DOT

No major plans in the near future at least couple of years anyway, so the 264' sound better suited. Would I need to uprate the springs, caps, collets or anything to fit these?? And would there be any gain without vernier sprockets?

Dooie Pop Pop

my hiteq built engine has 264hks cams and standard springs, its done about 13000 miles with no probs so far :wink: cant say about gains tbh as iv not tried my spec without em :roll: not much help i know...i was managing 116mph 1/4mile terminals with bogged launches :oops: :twisted: :lol:

give Ian a call he' s a pretty helpfull chap :wink: