Where to install independant coolant temp sensor?

A

asaisbhan

Hi guys - newbie here. I own a 1997 P11 Primera that has a GTi-R engine in it. I bought the car like that...so I'm still learning things on it. I have a couple problems really that are inter- related. First off - my fans seem to be always on. Even in the morning when cold - once I turn the key to 'On' - the fans are on. I'm guessing the car was not wired properly. I took the thermostat out as well, and has been running it like that for the past few months. (I live in Trinidad - and it's HOT these days - so I'm not too worried about running without the thermostat.) Ever since I've had the car - since August 2006 - the car has been having a 'suspected' overheating problem. My coolant temp gauge would go up to 3/4 the scale or even more in the hot mid-day sun in traffic. The temp gauge goes up even faster when I throw the a/c on. However, for the way that I have been driving it, and the length of time that I have been driving it like that - my head gasket has not blown (as yet). The coolant level in the rad remains constant, and the level in the overflow bottle drops by a few cc's every week.

On mornings when I start, the temp would reach to the half-mark within a few minutes of driving (2-3 mins), but would remain pretty steady at the half, until I start getting into traffic, 'zesty' driving, or I throw the a/c on. I am inclined to believe that it is some sort of electrical problem. I have changed both the gauge cluster, as well as the (single wire) temperature sensor, but no change.

I recently bought an Autometer (mechanical) coolant temp gauge, and I would like to install this as an independant gauge, and want to ask you guys where would be a good place to locate the sender. Bear in mind that it is a mechanical gauge, and the wiring to the gauge is about 6 feet (I think). I would prefer somewhere closer to the outlet side of the engine.

Do you all have any ideas or suggestions on this?
Thanks. Anil.

youngsyp

Are you sure the radiator isn't shot ? Everything just seems to point in that direction ?!

What sort of temps does the oil temp gauge show ?

As for your new gauge, I think the top radiator hose would be the optimum place to put it. It'll be interesting to see the results, keep us informed !

PaulB

id be inclined to agree, the radiator can manage until a point then its no good, probably some blocked cores or something.

If you living in a hot climate, spend a few dollars on a new one from Absolute Radiators in the states, thatl bring ya temps down :thumbsup:

O

Odin

Yes I'd say fit the bigger all copper rad from absolute rads, And a proper front mounted oil cooler, I can't see you having any future problems with that set up.

Rob

A

asaisbhan

well I took my rad out in September - and had the cores cleaned - I think it is a double core copper radiator. It does behave as though there is some blockage in the system. But I intend to take it out and clean it again soon....But do you have any other suggestions regarding locating the new independant temp sensor, other that the radiator return hose?

geoff pine

the top hose would be the flow i have my after market stat in the top hose .Coxie had his in the bottom hose he felt it would be more accurate i also have a greddy informeter which takes its readings fron the consult plug and gives a lower reading than the after market gauge. So perhaps the bottom hose figure is nearer to what the euc is reading.

nitrosgti-r

ok this might be a mile out but i had an over heating problem with my R and i replaced all the hoses at the back of the engine too, new water pump the lot and it still over heated. then i had a thought, the radiator cap?? i damaged it do do somat or other, bleed the system i think, but i thought that its not creating a water tight seal anymore, thus the water system is lacking in pressure, thus causing the water to not be quite so "rushed" around the engine??

Hope this makes sence? should have payed more attention in school lol