where is map sensor???

S

skar

can anyone confirm that the little black box besides airfilter is the the MAP sensor (the one with a vacume hose leading to it), and if so, is this what a boost cut defender hooks up to?

M

memski

Yes, that's the map sensor - not sure what you mean by a "boost cut defender".

S

skar

Boost cut defender, (also known as fuel cut defenders) pushes the boost cut threshold up a couple of psi so that i can run more boost, mainly want it for those cold (denser) nights that the boost cut seems to take affect, I've set the bleed valve at 14psi

So if im guessing right the FCD hooks up to the map sensor

Most late model turbo systems have inbuilt defence mechanisms to guard against increases in boost pressure. Such systems are important, but are an obstacle when increasing boost pressure.
A Turbosmart FCD will allow boost pressure to be increased above the factory fuel cut and prevent momentary shutdown of the fuel injection system.
Fuel Cut Defenders increase or remove the fuel cut, depending on the model selected
Increasing boost pressure is often the most cost effective increase in horsepower

M

memski

But the Gtir doesn't have a fuel cut... Which is why you can run "unlimited boost" if you leave the actuator hose unconnected to the plenum.

mainly want it for those cold (denser) nights that the boost cut seems to take affect
Sounds more like an ignition problem, try having a look at your plugs.

J

jiw

im sure it doesnt have a map sensor, i think what you are reffering to is the boost gauge sender unit or that carbon cannister thing with three pipes on it, jeff :wink:

N

N1SMO

it is a sort of map sensor for the stock boost guage. it dose have a boost/ fuel cut, but if you disconect the actuator you will get unlimited boost.

MarkTurbo

Mine didnt run unlimited boost when i forgot to reconnect the actuator pipe on the intercooler bracket :wink:

It just boosted to 1.4 bar and held that boost :shock: I thought it seemed a bit quicker :lol:

N

N1SMO

mine did till i got the clouds of white smoke, was good though lit all 4 wheels up in 3 gear

M

MORRISMINOR GTI-R

the R doesnt use a MAP sensor, it uses an air flow meter instead. and that box is the sender for the standard boost gauge.

N

N1SMO

tha box reads manifold air pressure for the boost gauge hense its name a map sensor.

A

Anonymous

N1SMO said:
tha box reads manifold air pressure for the boost gauge hense its name a map sensor.
this is getting silly :evil: the R does not have a map sensor for tuning/mapping/monitoring purposes.the MAF is used for that :!:

the MAP sensor you mention is only a ref for the boost gauge and apart from that,it does ferk all,so to call it a map sensor per say is a bit too fookin generous :!:

C

chrislloydus

The map sensor was only fitted so that it could be homolgated for use by the rally cars. Just on the road car, all it does is send the signal to the boost guage. Real waste of a fairly expensive sensor - especially when the ECU could have so easily made use of it !

.......and 'unlimited' boost is an urban myth. The boost will level off at 1.3-1.4 bar as the wastegate is opened by the force of air behind it rather than by the actuator as normal. The spring on the actutator simply wont hold that level of boost back.