Wheel size, 15 or 17

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mr Gti_R

whats the best size wheels to put on my gtir as people have told me that smaller wheels will make my gearbox last longer. I have been through 2 boxes in 3 days and its now off the road until i come up with a solution to make them last longer or get £2500 for a Quaife box. 15 is the smallest i can go as plans for 285mm discs and 4pots are in the pipeline.

Cheers ROB :lol:

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
I personally use 17's but with the correct suspension setup...

15's will generally give you better handling... Its all to do with rotating mass and inertia... 15's will be less stress on the drive train so will be kinder to your gearbox... Although i prefer 17's for other reasons...

Rishi

Fazz

I have 15's on mine for over a year now and have managed to do engine damage before Gearbox..

I was frightened of the gearboxes before I bought but thankfully seem to have a decent one and short shift seems to help.

I wouldn't be the kindest on gearboxes but she's held out!

Just find another second hand one or get yours rebuilt I'd say mate!

I am also thinking of moving to 17s... Mainly for Looks. In fact purely for looks. Only when Engine is sorted though!

Good luck.

I have 15" compomotives on mine so that i could fit big brakes behind them.
if you are sticking to 15's you still may have problems getting brakes to go behind them. as they 285's can still scrub on some alloys.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Alot of people go for 16s as you can fit the big brakes without the bulk of 17" wheels.

Status
Not open for further replies.