What's this?

matp5

Now this is not my engine bay, but I'm wondering what the circled part is and what does it do? Seems to have 2 vaccum lines going to it:

On my R, there is no vaccum lines going to this part, why? Where do these vaccum lines go to? What do they do?

Any info would help!

Thx

O

Odin

matp5 said:
Now this is not my engine bay, but I'm wondering what the circled part is and what does it do? Seems to have 2 vacuum lines going to it:

On my R, there is no vacuum lines going to this part, why? Where do these vacuum lines go to? What do they do?

Any info would help!

Thx

That's the standard boost solenoid, You must have some kind of boost controller fitted matey.

Rob

matp5

That's what I thought.

But see I don't have a boost controller..... My R seems to be a de-tuned R. Bumper brace cut, but still top mount... alot of holes in the dash, probably for gauges and controllers. I also discovered that the vaccum line going to the waste gate was cut at one time ... probably for a boost controller.

But how can everything work good with the stock selenoid being unplugged...

Car runs good at around 8psi

McDaveMP5

Can someone confirm what the standard wastegate spring is able to hold ?

Theory:
Would it be about 8-9 psi ?
So even if the solenoid is not "aware" of the intake pressure, the gate will open because of the weakness of the internal spring ?

--McDave

geoff pine

So where do the two pipes that can be seen on the solenoid go to ? or is it one pipe looped is unlimited boost 1.3 or 1.4 thats what the spring will hold

matp5

I don't know where the pipes go because There is no pipes going to my selenoid. I took that pic from the gallery...

Animaldaz

8psi is a bit low, i still run a standard solenoid connected as factory and i get 10.5psi on my aftermarket gauge. As you look at it the right hand pipe goes to the air intake pipe and the other one T's into the wastegate pipe.

matp5

So can anyone explain to me how can it boost around 8psi with no vacuum line connected to the stock selenoid?

I can see that the wastegate pipe has been connected to at one point.

Anyways, to install my new Greddy ProfecB boost controller, should I remove the stock selenoid? and I guess the boost controller has to T up with the wastegate vacuum?