whats this bolt doing?

maz

excuse my inexerperience please, as i havnt got down to this part of my car yet as far as meddling with it DIY style. but i noticed this bolt was loose and i cant seem to tighten it, as its very difficult to get my hand down there and it just spins and doesnt grip when i turn it!

what is it for, an is it bad that its loose? (cars off the road just now anyway)

down beside the turbo.

Last edited:
O

Odin

Looks like one of your turbo elbow bolts has come lose fella.

If you take all the heat shields off you will probably find a few lose bolts on the turbo and manifold, It's an old pulsar problem lol.

Rob

Last edited by a moderator:

daz

looks like the whole turbo elbow stud has come out lol oh dear like rob says its an old pulsar problem

maz

take the heat sheild off? oooh crap i havnt even started to do engine work yet :( im a computer engineer, not a mechanic!

O

Odin

maz said:
take the heat sheild off? oooh crap i havnt even started to do engine work yet :( im a computer engineer, not a mechanic!
If you fancy a trip up to sunny aberdeen I could probably fix it for you mate ;-) , Of just take it down the local garage :thumbsup: .

Rob

maz

Thunder God said:
If you fancy a trip up to sunny aberdeen I could probably fix it for you mate ;-) , Of just take it down the local garage :thumbsup: .
thanks for the generous offer Rob, but i have no 5th gear so it would prolly cost me the price of a local cowboy garage :)

im gonna attempt to tackle it on my own with some advice from a friend whos done it before :)

maz

yes Rich, i have reverse, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. took it to 'the garage' and the guy marc told me 5th was sheered :( so saving the pennys for a quaife. its a bitch!

maz

yes, i was told that was a risk back in january when it happened. but i had only bought it a month before hand. so i was angry and didnt heed the advice, ive been driving around in it ever since and nothings happened yet, but its off the road just now due to cracked brakes :(

chadboy

niss tek in swansea charged me £800 to do my 5th gear and it wasnt any shavings in the gearbox oil. when i asked for a price they said it wouldnt be that much so i didnt think twice. neva go there again

Fire & skill

Vintage member
where did you buy the car maz? what happened when fifth gear went - did it just go or was there crunching noises etc