What's it worth?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
In the last week I've had two people ask me if I'd be willing to let the R go so they could restore it.

I'd rather see it back on the road than stripped for parts, but I don't know what a sensible figure to let it go is. - What's the feeling?

It's an early 1990 in KJ7 (Ivory), and it's reasonably standard. - I drove it in to my drive a few years ago with the intention of getting the arches fixed, and it's been on axle stands ever since.

The brakes will be seized solid by now, and it would be sensible to clean the injectors and change the oil before turning it over... but I don't think it would take much to start it.

Obviously the rear arches (including strut turrets) will need the rust cutting out and fresh metal going in. - There's probably more when you start looking at it.

There are a few parts that I put value on (even if that's not really fair); full stainless exhaust, Nismo struts, Nismo strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB.

So what's a reasonable figure to ask for a "rolling" project... that probably won't roll immediately?

Aimee

Moderators
Staff member
I’d say around £4k George, I know people are selling their ‘projects’ for like £6k and they’ve done a lot more engine wise.
Stick some pics up and we’ll have a look at it

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I was thinking more like £2k. - It doesn't owe me anything really, but as a hunk of steel with some salvageable parts it still has some value.

On guy offered me £1,500 so that's the starting point.

Aimee

Moderators
Staff member
I was thinking more like £2k. - It doesn't owe me anything really, but as a hunk of steel with some salvageable parts it still has some value.

On guy offered me £1,500 so that's the starting point.
Seriously, Chuck some pics up and I’ll send the link out.

geoff pine

Hi George i think its value is what you would be happy to except for it ! . how much hassle are you are prepared to put up with buyers pissing you about and offering peanuts for it ? mechanically it was a very sound car just the body let it down .

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Tell them to come back with more...
Clearly I haven't let it go for that.

It doesn't really owe me anything, but I think I could get more than that scrapping it (which is something I'm trying to avoid at all costs).

It's not pissing down with rain today, so I'll try to take some photos of the worst parts.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Rust is coming back through on the bonnet:

Right (driver-side) rear arch is in the worst condition:

Strut tower also needs work (not a great shot, but there's a hole and I've tried to treat it to prevent it getting worse):

Other side is cosmetically worse (I inherrited that bad filler job; it isn't my work):

The strut tower doesn't have any hole though:

The intercooler pipework came off so I could get to the turbo elbow, but it was running well before I parked it up.

It's raining again now, so I've come back inside.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
As I said. - It needs some rust cutting out (probably more now then when I parked it), and it hasn't been turned over in a while either.
Definitely needs new rear arches, and that strut tower at the same time. The rest should be fairly superficial.

It's really just that I can't weld it myself, and I never found anywhere local interested in the work (or at least not for less than £5k).

I've organised for the first guy to have a closer look tomorrow. - I told him £2k and if he low balls me, there are at least two other people interested now.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
It is done.

I'll be sad to see the old girl towed away, but the new owner is planning to restore her to as standard as possible visually.

Aimee

Moderators
Staff member
It is done.

I'll be sad to see the old girl towed away, but the new owner is planning to restore her to as standard as possible visually.
Never thought I’d see the day where you wouldn’t be an R owner! It’ll be lovely to see it when it’s all finished.

Cathode

Let's hope it's running back in the sun soon. Well, soonish. Better than being pulled apart IMO. A slice of Japanese automotive history lives on.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
It is done.

Anyone from the owners club world?

Would be nice to see a restoration rebuild thread.