What should I do first...

A

AnthSR

I'm aiming to get a GTi-R in December/January (2 years no claims) time (or if I can, even wait it out til April when I am 21)... going to be looking for the most standard one I can get - for arguements sake lets say it's 100% standard... I already have a nice set of 17s that will fit - used to be from a GTi-R and now on my SR

What should be the first things I should buy;

I should have about £1800 too spend after buying the car in Dec/Jan

I'm not sure what my BHP aim is... I'll say at least 330?

Cheers :thumbsup:

rossdj1983

k and n filter, mongoose exhaust, evc of some sort, fuel pump upgrade, desent brakes then work from there i would, depends what your using it for mate

A

a11ova

1. Service and health check
2. Brake Upgrade (wilwoods, hi-spec etc)
3. Exhaust and Filter
4. Fuel Pump

that will prob be most of budget gone to be honest

A

AnthSR

Getting about, meets, going to Santa Pod every now and again - thinking about having a trip to the Nurburgring sometime next year

Cheers :thumbsup:

rossdj1983

brakes it is then, you can get second hand hi specs for around 500 quid, i gotta say they are one of the best mods i made

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
a11ova said:
1. Service and health check
2. Brake Upgrade (wilwoods, hi-spec etc)
3. Exhaust and Filter
4. Fuel Pump

5. Uprated clutch (organic)
6. Clutch support bracket

One thing that most members will tell you is not to scrimp on price when it comes to parts and maintenance. This is where you can ensure that you can prolong your cars life as far as possible, yeah it might cost a few £££'s more for oil, but its important to look after it or you’ll have a much bigger bill when the engine needs a re-build.:doh:

A

AnthSR

Fast Guy said:
What cars have you previously had?
Astra 1.4 - first ever car, lol
Seat Ibiza 1.4 - written off, underage **** crashed into me
Clio 1.4 - for a week then I scrapped it to buy my current car;
Nissan Sunny SR 1.6

Also drove a Civic VTEC 1.6 and 1.5, Saxo VTR

A

AnthSR

fubar andy said:
5. Uprated clutch (organic)
6. Clutch support bracket

One thing that most members will tell you is not to scrimp on price when it comes to parts and maintenance. This is where you can ensure that you can prolong your cars life as far as possible, yeah it might cost a few £££'s more for oil, but its important to look after it or you’ll have a much bigger bill when the engine needs a re-build.:doh:
Does that mean no more free oil from my dads work :roll: ah well :)

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
First thing then.................spend a couple of weeks getting used to the acceleration.
No point in spending £1000s if you buy a fast car when the weathers turning dodgy and crash it before the months out.

A

AnthSR

Fast Guy said:
First thing then.................spend a couple of weeks getting used to the acceleration.
No point in spending £1000s if you buy a fast car when the weathers turning dodgy and crash it before the months out.
Yeh definitely... bit of a silly time to think about buying one ain't it :doh: - as I say I may just wait it out til April, hoepfully the weather will be a bit better I'll be 21 and I'll have even more to spend by then!

I've been told how RWD cars behave - but I'm not sure how 4wd cars behave

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Ours tend to understeer if you drive them normally, but they can be provoked into oversteer. (I'd probably crash if I tried)