what plugs are you running in a 400 bhp r?

rossdj1983

reason i ask is ive just bought a set of denso ik24 plugs, which i was told were the boys to have, however it runs like a bag of shite with them in

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
IK27 for 400bhp and the sort of boost you are likely to be running..

Rishi

Fazz

HKS's in mine - circa 380bhp.

Had NGK Grade 9's but they weren't up to the task.

rossdj1983

when i put them in my car finds it difficult to tickover and misses a fair bit on the ik24's, but it runs ok on the old crappy standard plugs, obviously im worried about them when i hit boost so their no good either

youngsyp

You may have a dodgy plug in amongst them ?! Have you checked for a strong spark with the plug out of the engine ?

Fusion Ed

Best I have found so far, which are probably quite overkill for some are the NGK racing 9's with recessed tip. I have (personally) not had problems with them fouling either like some have said. But they are an expensive choice.

ashills

yep as ed says for anyone wanting the best they are awesome but they dont like getting fouled up from quick on offs of the engine etc but will last a very long time if looked after and 0 chance of ceramic breaking up or tip melting

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
rossdj1983 said:
took em straight out the box and popped em in, thought there are pre gapped?
:doh: I remember someone being badly flamed in the past trying to argue that point.
Even if they are perfectly pre-gapped, you can bet the gap is wrong for your car even if it might be okay for someone else.

As Hotsnot said, check the gaps first. incidentally, I ran my engine in on normal plugs and switched to the NGK 9's when I started using sufficient boost to justify their use.

@Fazz, why did you switch from the NGK's to the HKS(Denso)? I've heard the Denso are slightly lower resistance than NGK that helps sparking at the limit of out OE ignition system?

Jim

Fazz

Jim - Clive and andy were out mapping and the plugs weren't performing. They needed to change to the HKS's to map the boost up to 1.5.

No probs during mapping then. I still ahve them in the boot actually. Might lob them back in out of curiosity to see the difference.
First casualty since mapping = Manifold Gasket :) I'll settle for that thanks you. Must get done before Rollers.

I hadn't checked the NGK's before throwing in... are they really supposed to be better than teh HKS's??

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Sorry to hear about your gasket, at least its only something small.

I wouldn't say they were better or not, but the lower resistance gives a stonger spark but lowers longevity.

The reason why I asked is the same gents originally mapped my engine too on NGK9's with a standard ignition but only used a 0.5mm plug gap.

If there is any difference, unless its bad the only way to check for minor misfires is through a datalog.

TBH, I've not got a strong opinon either way, others might have but I was just interested to hear the background to the switch.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Micra Ed said:
Best I have found so far, which are probably quite overkill for some are the NGK racing 9's with recessed tip. I have (personally) not had problems with them fouling either like some have said. But they are an expensive choice.
ashills said:
yep as ed says for anyone wanting the best they are awesome but they dont like getting fouled up from quick on offs of the engine etc but will last a very long time if looked after and 0 chance of ceramic breaking up or tip melting
I've looked all over for these in the past but no joy, all anyone can offer is an alternative....... :x

anyone got any ideas where to get them

Steve

scottyd

i am running around 400bhp, and i think i have hks's in mine, but if the plugs get wet they really, really dont like it, so steve ferguson has reccommended some NGK Heat range 8 plugs, he said he has used them before, and they are spot on for a road car, no problems on startup, and they dont mind getting a bit wet, so when they arrive, i'm giving them a shot too, anyone else used these and can comment?