what next?

S

s18rra

right i got my r a little while ago and its had very few things done to it and ive slowly added a few bits myself, but what would people recommend the next step to be to gain a little more power. current spec:
-goose full system with decat
-apexi induction kit
-baileys bov
-17" alloys
-fmic (to be installed soon)
-walboro fuel pump (to be installed soon)

now im looking to get the greddy profecb 2 but is this the right mod to choose next or should i get a new upgraded ecu.
whats next after the profecb/ecu to increase power?

snoon

A 3" turbo elbow/downpipe will give you another 20 ponies no problem. The standard one is really restrictive.

Trondelond

After that list plus the elbow, you may want to look at injectors. I suppose anything past that is going to get costly. Bigger turbo, internals, gearbox etc.

I'd listen to tim, and change the suspension/brakes. I did the power hike first, and I was longing for better brakes and suspension after that.

snoon

Depends what your after. To go for bigger injectors, turbo, pistons etc you'll need some management like - Chipped and remapped standard ecu, unichip, haltech, motec etc.

I'd like some decent brakes too, but I like to get some BHP for my £'s!!

With the mods listed, and a decent elbow, boost to a bar you should see 300BHP or there abouts.

S

s18rra

oh i forgot tntion i have d2s aswell, so you reckon a boost controller and 3" downpipe next and not worry about remapping for now.
where and how much for the downpipe?

gtir_pimp

the boost controller will make the most difference in power, depending on how much boost you run. looking at your spec the car could be anything from 230-250bhp. you could see 300bhp with the controller, but take it to a Rolling road so they can check theres enough fuel getting there. should be fine but if theres not you sometimes wont notice and it could be detting its tits off!! greddy profec b 2 set up on the rollers £80. new engine ££££s

youngsyp

gtir_pimp said:
the boost controller will make the most difference in power, depending on how much boost you run. looking at your spec the car could be anything from 230-250bhp. you could see 300bhp with the controller, but take it to a Rolling road so they can check theres enough fuel getting there. should be fine but if theres not you sometimes wont notice and it could be detting its tits off!! greddy profec b 2 set up on the rollers £80. new engine ££££s
You'll be surprised how much power and torque a decent exhaust can liberate !

When I had my exhaust fitted, it instantly caused the clutch to slip in all gears, as a result of the new found torque. I'd expect it freed up 30-40 bhp and30-40 lbs/ft of torque and the car had no othe rmods, except an Apexi Power Intake.
The exhaust I had fitted included a 3" elbow, 3" dowpipe and 2.5" system from there back.
Of course the boost controller will improve matters but, I'd want to lay the foundations for that first, by sorting the exhaust and induction out. With that in mind, if you're thinking of running 1 to 1.1 bar plus, I'd replace the Apexi filter too !

Paul

S

s18rra

i thought id be running abit more than 230-250bhp with my current spec.
full goose system with decat
apexi induction kit.
why would you change the apexi ive heard there good, what would you change it too and what are thoose massive filters i see some people with maybe blitz

youngsyp

s18rra said:
why would you change the apexi ive heard there good, what would you change it too and what are thoose massive filters i see some people with maybe blitz
I found the Apexi unit restrictive on my car at probably less than 1 bar of peak boost.
The problem with them is that they are too small. This creates large pressure drops from one side of the filter material to the other and so, they don't flow as much air as you'd want.
I have one of the large Blitz cones right now (what I replaced the Apexi unit with) and they give very good flow. However, they don't filter particulates for toffee. This could mean you wear the turbine compressor blades of your turbo prematurely although, I've not seen that in the 15 - 20K miles I've had mine on for !

The best type of filter to go for is a large K&N or Green one. They flow very well and will also filter out particulates pretty well too. This is what I plan to replace my Blitz cone with, if I don't get rid of the car first !

Paul

S

s18rra

does anyone have a model number for the largest k&n that will fit the r, or know where i can go to see the filters and pick 1?