What Lacquer?

A

Anonymous

Hi guys,

I'm gonna be doin a bit of a spray job on my front bumper sometime soon and just wanted to know what sort of lacquer to use on it and how many coats are needed.

Dale

J

jasegould

What make or what type??

Use 2k clear lacquer, but be careful its not good stuff to breathe in.
I used Bodyline lacquer on my car as it was cheaper (my cars built to a budget!!)and we found the Glasurit/ICI stuff can sometimes be slightly cloudy.

Apply as many coats as you need, 3 good coats should be enough, apply more if you want to but I wouldnt bother going mad and laying loads of coats on it wont make much of a difference.

Or just use a solid black...a lot easier and will look really deep and shiny if sprayed well.

A

Anonymous

Ok, cheers.

I'll try some of that 2k stuff.

I take it all the colours are going to use the same lacquer? I've got the graphite grey type colour.

I think I'll do a bit of experimenting first.

J

jasegould

Yep, lacquer is the same for all colours - its clear.
Have you ever used 2k before?? Thin and spray the basecoat on, leave it to flash off then spray the lacquer over the top (2 parts lacquer to 1 part hardner and thinned 20-30% deoending on temperature)
You may have trouble getting the paint as it can only be sold to the trade/professionals...but its not that hard to get hold of if you work in the motortrade or have a mate who does. And I'd be careful if you have asthma...its not very nice stuff

A

Anonymous

No I've never used that stuff before. But it certainly sounds good.

I'm hoping I can get hold of some. If not what's the next best thing?