what is that noise?????

MarkTurbo

The second car into the video, blue scooby?

Thats the sound of air passing back through the turbo as the throttle is let off ;-)

T

tro||

yes you can fit one to a pulsar :thumbsup:

a reverse flow blow off valve blanking plug (also known as a flutter plug) is what you need.

ring up any turbo/dumpvalve supplier, they should have one :eyebrows:

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I blanked off the DV outlet pipe on mine and removed the dv, makes a very similar noise. Generally works well but occasionaly the MAF gets confused when you lift off to part throttle. with some air going back and some going forward. Needs a MAP sensor really

youngsyp

If you get a HKS SSQv, you can just tighten the adjuster up and you'll get this sound on part throttle and the excess boost vented at higher boost.

As I'm still not convinced that you won't damage the turbo from removing the BOV altogether, this is the best compromise for me. It does sound good though, sometimes you get the tssh, tssh, tssh (low load)and sometimes you get the heh, heh, heh (higher load) sound !

When they had the Prodrive P2 on Top gear, you could hear the same noise on that !

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
youngsyp said:
If you get a HKS SSQv, you can just tighten the adjuster up and you'll get this sound on part throttle and the excess boost vented at higher boost.
What is the maximum switch over point you can set on the HKS SSQV? Are there any cheaper alternatives.I'm not really a fan of DV's but in the absence. I'm not worried about the turbo reliability, its more tuning out the MAF problem as an alternative to a MAP.

youngsyp

campbellju said:
What is the maximum switch over point you can set on the HKS SSQV? Are there any cheaper alternatives.I'm not really a fan of DV's but in the absence. I'm not worried about the turbo reliability, its more tuning out the MAF problem as an alternative to a MAP.
Not sure what you're refering to when you say 'maximum switch over point' ?! If you're refering to what I think you are, it's not that accurate I'm afraid as, it seems to depend on load, throttle position and boost at the point of throttle release. It seems to happen more consistently, if I'm in 5th, accelerating from say 65 mph to 75mph at about half throttle on fairly even ground. If that helps any ?!

Personally, I find it just right as, it will still release at moderate boost levels and react quicker than before (what I was worried about primarily) but, you still get the nice flutter.

To be honest, I did a lot of reading around the subject of different BOV's and the HKS seem to be the best for doing this with. There is a problem with that though as, all the current and future stock of the SSQV have preset spring tensions and have no facility to adjust them (HKS have removed the adjuster bolt). However, there is an alternative and, it's cheaper than the HKS. Not sure if you frequent eBay a lot but, there are SSQV copies on there. These have the adjuster bolt and, are of identical quality to the HKS item. As I said, I did a fair bit of reading around and there was this article I found with a US guy who stripped a 'copy' and an original SSQV down. The only difference IIRC was that the casting on one part of the copy was ever so rough when compared to the original. This wouldn't affect it's functionality one bit. I'm totally anal about this sort of thing as, I really don't want the repair bill but, this article convinced me and a lot of the cynical members of the forum it was posted on too !

Hope this helps !

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I was thinking in terms of boost pressure but you've answered the question better than just saying 1.2Bar etc, I understand what you mean about it being load and throttle etc, its the same with my MAF response too.

I just saw some £40 copies on E-Bay, they might be worth a punt after what you've found out. I do use E-bay a bit but if you do a search you get all sorts of rubbish up, (Electronic DV sounds for diesels etc :) )

Thanks for your help,
Jim

MarkTurbo

campbellju said:
Generally works well but occasionaly the MAF gets confused when you lift off to part throttle. with some air going back and some going forward. Needs a MAP sensor really
What do you mean when you say the maf is getting confused, what happens when you lift off to part throttle? I've run my car without a dumpvalve for pretty much all of the 4 years i've owned it and its always run spot on ;-)

O

Odin

I really can't believe any of you lot would even intertain this stupid question, Is this bloke on drugs ?, Who gives a flying f*ck what bl00dy sound the car makes....

Rob

stumo

Thunder God said:
I really can't believe any of you lot would even intertain this stupid question, Is this bloke on drugs ?, Who gives a flying f*ck what bl00dy sound the car makes....

Rob
The same could be said about your ar$e too.