What do you think of the condition of these spark plugs?

donpulsar

South Yorkshire Regional Rep
hmm, just had my sparkies (HKS s40i) checked and they all looked like No 3 ... and was advised that they should be ok for another 4-6 months... :?: Now we're both confused :?: :roll:

Any suggestions anyone :?:

zia

pic is not really to good but the no3 plugs stands out a bit.it could be no3 is running a bit lean/ if they all were like that then it would need sorting as it is just one nothing worry about.

zia

O

Olly

Might be worth getting your injectors ultra sonically cleaned and tested for peace of mind 8) You loosing any coolant or have a miss fire?

donpulsar

South Yorkshire Regional Rep
Been having copious mis-firing on my 'R, which turned out to be either the HT leads, rotor arm or dist.cap, as all were replaced. Seeing as the car runs like the Millenium falcon on Optimax (ie better than ever :!:) then its likely No3 is fine, and the others aren't. Are they sooted up from too much fuel, or do they just need changing ?

A

Anders

Thanks for the replies guys

The fact that 3 is not consistent with the rest does concern me. Now its difficult to read platinum plugs but 1,2 and 4 look like normal textbook condition IMO. They have a brown tint on the ceramic part and the firing end is dark brown to dark grey. 3 just seems too white (more so than the pic shows) and there are deposits on one side of the ceramic part.

I did a "hot" compression test and got the following:

4 cranks - approx 140,140,128,140
5 cranks - approx 150,145,130,145

Look at 3 :cry: :cry: :cry:

After sticking a torch down plug hole 3, the piston crown looked more "pitted" than the rest. Also, there is a little oil in the intake pipes with a cream like residue, but some consider this to be normal on turbo'd cars providing its not excessive.

Defo not loosing any coolant and both coolant and oil look fine.

I guess oil could be leaking past the piston and finding its way onto the plug? :roll:

Maybe time for a leakdown test and some poking around with an endoscope. The thing is, the car stills pulls strong all the way upto redline, especially as I've just given her some tlc in the form of iridum plugs, fuel filter, ECU reset and optimax+octane booster. :wink:

What do you reckon. Wait until it goes or take decisive action now?

S

str_motorsport

i think you should check your in jectors.....n3 is running lean in my opinion

J

Jonny H

No3 looks ok to me although the pictures arent the best in the world :roll: If the core nose is white tho then it is probably over heating!