what boost?

jamieddd

its a walbro pump.. can someone tell me whats the max i can set my ebc too ..instead of joking about over the internet

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I'm afraid you've asked the "1bar mong" question so don't expect a serious answer from most people. It's a bit like asking for a skyhook or a long stand.

I'll give you a break, standard is 0.7bar so Nissan said 20 years ago that it was "safe".

Many people run 1.0bar and it works well most of the time.

Some people run 1.2bar and it still works though 1.2bar sometimes opens a can of worms with standard MAF capability.

Boost pressure doesn't actually tell you anything though as your T28 will run out of air past 330hp give or take. A bigger turbo will take a standard engine to >400hp with the right mapping.

However, running more boost will only exacerbate problems you already have and you might have a piston fail. Equally you might have the clutch fail or just a PITA misfire to solve.

No one can tell you what is safest max/optimum hence the pi** takes

If you stick it on a RR you can first check your car is running right now. When we've done a Group RR and around 20% of the cars found out they had an issue. You can set your car to 1bar and check again, if you're feeling brave go to 1.1bar or even 1.2bar but you might find you start to hit problems. Also don't complain if in 6 months time the extra power has accelerated the demise of your engine/clutch. For safety less is more with boost.

Welcome to the club :)

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Just read some of your other posts. As you're still finding your feet with the car I would start with confirming it's making standard boost of 0.7bar first and take it from there

Trondelond

I'm afraid you've asked the "1bar mong" question so don't expect a serious answer from most people. It's a bit like asking for a skyhook or a long stand.

I'll give you a break, standard is 0.7bar so Nissan said 20 years ago that it was "safe".

Many people run 1.0bar and it works well most of the time.

Some people run 1.2bar and it still works though 1.2bar sometimes opens a can of worms with standard MAF capability.

Boost pressure doesn't actually tell you anything though as your T28 will run out of air past 330hp give or take. A bigger turbo will take a standard engine to >400hp with the right mapping.

However, running more boost will only exacerbate problems you already have and you might have a piston fail. Equally you might have the clutch fail or just a PITA misfire to solve.

No one can tell you what is safest max/optimum hence the pi** takes

If you stick it on a RR you can first check your car is running right now. When we've done a Group RR and around 20% of the cars found out they had an issue. You can set your car to 1bar and check again, if you're feeling brave go to 1.1bar or even 1.2bar but you might find you start to hit problems. Also don't complain if in 6 months time the extra power has accelerated the demise of your engine/clutch. For safety less is more with boost.

Welcome to the club :)
Not to take anything away from you - but iirc, the service manual states a pressure range that is acceptable during servicing. I think it's in the 0.6-0.7 bar range. Just to be anal about it.

I did try running my car with standard turbo @ 1.2 bar, but 1.1 bar gave a higher bhp. This may of course have something to do with numerous pulls on and RR, but aren't you running pretty close to the turbo's limit at that pressure?

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I think it's in the 0.6-0.7 bar range. Just to be anal about it.
Nothing wrong with being precise ;-)

Your experience on the turbo is not wrong either as some olders nowadays seem to hit issues above 1bar from what I've seen at the last few RR's. Leaking DV's, poor boost control, wrong plugs. As I said, 1.2bar can be a can of worms which I was trying to top toe around.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Not bastards so much as jerks. - As explained above, you're asking one of those questions that doesn't really have an answer... so you get nonsense as a response.

You're probably safe setting it at something like 1.0 bar, but it's better to be sure it's safe (rather than sorry); that's why you should put in on the RR and get the fuelling checked.
If you know it's good, you can dial the boost up a bit more... and if it isn't you can sort the problem before you destroy your engine.