What air filter

GTIR1000

just wondering which are filter to get next, which gives the best performance upgrade that anyone has found, which one sounds the best i have heard the metal gause ones sound really good and are the best to go for dont know if this is true. i was told when on throttle metal kits produce a loud whistling noise not really bothered about noise looking for best perfromance.

G

GTiRich

I've always liked the blitz supersonic ones (i think thats them anyway) They are enclosed and come with a cold air feed. Dunno if they do one for the R tho

K

KRS

I hear good things about Apexi Filters, I plan on swapping one for my HKS after someone posted a tech article comparing some filters... A lot of crap seemed to come through the HKS but the Apexi was doing a great job and still made 1hp more than the HKS.

A

Anonymous

well Im planning on naming my kids...

Piper and Cross

I wont touch anything else!

A

Anonymous

mattygti-r said:
then ur missing out cos the apexi is the best one
PFFFT!!!

I took one of those out to put in the Pipercross.

I gave it away i hated it so much!

K

KRS

why? Whats better about the pipercross?

Ive always heard they were not that good, but I never beileve what I heard without evidence! or at least an explanation :)

A

Anonymous

just personal preference in my case

I have watched flow tests done on heaps of different filters and i saw the pipercross out perform everything else.

They out filtrated and out flowed everything else that was there that day...

So i believed my own eyes and went with what i saw was the best
and iv stuck with them ever since.

mattygti-r

well so long as your happy, know thta the apexi unit ihave performs very well, so i personally wouldnt touch the pipercross with a 10ft pole but thats just my opinion

A

Anonymous

DON'T!!! Use wet (oil) based filters because they mess up the air flow meter. NEVER use one of those HKS mushrooms, had one on my other car and it was useless and allowed the AFM and intake pipes to get coated in crap.

The Blitz SUS Stainless Steel filter is very good (been using for three years now and the intake is clean as a whilstle), as is the Apexi. Just be sure to enclose the filter is a proper box so it doesn't suck up the hot air from under the bonnet.

donpulsar

South Yorkshire Regional Rep
The oil based filters are okay to use - as long as they aren't over oiled after cleaning ! :)

I'm running an M's Factory K&N cone setup and it's ace - bigger than the puny UK K&N and sounds awesome..great filtration too.

From what test's I've seen (flow, filtration & power), the Apexi came top, followed by the K&N, Blitz and then HKS Mushroom. However..I know the K&N,Blitz & HKS are easy enough to clean etc, but how do you clean a paper element :?: :roll:

For my money, go with the K&N - Forge do an Evo 6 filter kit which is around the same size as the M's Factory one for the 'R.

LOU ROB

I like the huge simotta air filter that is on my car.Miles better than that H.K.S mushroom that I used to have on. :wink:

topcat

i have the blitz sus ....easy to clean, good power, nice sound. downside...expencive.. but pay for what u get :))

OZ-Racing

When I first got my R, one of my mates spotted a 'cheap as chips' cone filter, one of those lightly oiled jobbies, only £30 delivered. So being strapped for cash, I jumped at it :roll: , can't imagine it's doing much good to my R though! :oops:

If I were able to get my hands on an Apexi duel funnel wotsit kit :? for £92 delivered (new), should I get it?
I think this is a 'deal' because I have only seen the kit for between £135 - £185 elsewhere. Does this sound about right :?: