Went Through A Flood

samgtir

Mornin people, went through a flood a week ago now i have a grinding sound coming from the v-belt side, over this week it has slowly got worst now the oil lite has come on even though the oil level is fine and the centre oil pressure guage is reading correct, is there any chance this could be an alternator fault???

O

Odin

I went through a flood once in the works van and f*cked the engine completely, I don't think the alternator would put on the oil light matey, Is the engine check light coming on as well ?.

I wouldn't drive it until you know for sure what is doing the grinding.

Rob

samgtir

no engine lite on at all, when i rev it the oil lite gets brighter like its the alternator lite if you get what i mean.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Water may have got into the alternator and the bearing is giving up, or the alternator itself is fecked.

Can you localise the noise with the bonnet up?

samgtir

woo hoo!!!! ive found the fault its the air con compressor, how easy is it to remove the air con system?? is this somthing i can do myself?? what size is the belt for a gtir without aircon? also how much weight will i lose with removing it??thanks people.

samgtir

the compressor is the grinding noise, its goes away when i turn the air con on, ive put the oil lite down to the oil pressure switch, got one coming this afternoon.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Fairly easy to remove. Make sure you bin the mounting plate for the compressor as it weighs a ton. The whole system was 23kg including the bit inside the car.

Belt is about 830-845mm