Water Temperature

JU5TY

I’m in the process of running my engine in, I’ve done around 250miles so far, seem to have a problem with the water temperature…

When driving on open roads the water temperature is around 80degrees according to the FC Commander, when I hit traffic the temperature rises and rises, I’ve seen it hit 105degrees before I’ve turned the engine off.
The temperature does drop once I reach the open road again, which obviously leads me to believe it’s the fan, I’ve checked it and it seems to be working fine, it’s a SPAL uprated one. When I had the car set up they did say once the car was running full power the single fan wouldn’t be sufficient, but would be fine for running in…

The water temperature gauge on the dash dials does not rise even in traffic, it’s just the digital temperature read out from the FC Commander, surely they both take a reading from the same sensor?

Any ideas?

warringtonjack

I've had this problem before. You dont mention what rad you're running. If its an old one, you may have a blockage, this was enough to cause mine to overheat when stuck in traffic, even though the fans were trying their best. And as for the standard water gauge, mine has never gone above half way, even when it was boiling over. This is a common fault with some of them, dont know why though. :noidea:

JU5TY

I've got a custom alloy Pace rad, picture below, is new so wouldn’t be a blockage.

I’ll disregard the standard gauge then and monitor the FC Commander read out.

Last edited:

geoff pine

JU5TY said:
I’m in the process of running my engine in, I’ve done around 250miles so far, seem to have a problem with the water temperature…

When driving on open roads the water temperature is around 80degrees according to the FC Commander, when I hit traffic the temperature rises and rises, I’ve seen it hit 105degrees before I’ve turned the engine off.
The temperature does drop once I reach the open road again, which obviously leads me to believe it’s the fan, I’ve checked it and it seems to be working fine, it’s a SPAL uprated one. When I had the car set up they did say once the car was running full power the single fan wouldn’t be sufficient, but would be fine for running in…

The water temperature gauge on the dash dials does not rise even in traffic, it’s just the digital temperature read out from the FC Commander, surely they both take a reading from the same sensor? ideas?
It looks like theres two (service manual page ef&ec-372) second diagram down shows two sensors in the water pipe

P

pulsarboby

geoff pine said:
It looks like theres two (service manual page ef&ec-372) second diagram down shows two sensors in the water pipe

one of those goes to the ecu (nothing to do with the standard fitment gauge) the other one goes to the gauge which is the small single terminal one.

the pfc takes the temp reading from the ecu (not single terminal sender) so should be pretty accurate.

buy some water wetter and put that in there, very good stuff and does as it says on the tin, drops running temps by around 10-20 degrees;-)
thats assuming its all been bled properly of course!

JU5TY

Cheers guys, that clears up why the two gauges show different readings, I’ll go by the FC Commander/ECU reading from now on.

I used to have Water Wetter in it, but have since drained the system, I’ll get some more and check the systems bled properly.

Checked the fan earlier and it’s spinning the correct direction.

JU5TY

Only checked the fan direction arrow on the fan, on closer inspection I realised I'd got the wires the incorrect way round, correct now and the fan is now spinning in the correct direction. Doh!

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
JU5TY said:
Only checked the fan direction arrow on the fan, on closer inspection I realised I'd got the wires the incorrect way round, correct now and the fan is now spinning in the correct direction. Doh!
"It's MegaMaid; she's gone from suck to blow!"?

geoff pine

Imran187 said:
whats the maximum the water temps should be getting up to?
the fans should come on at 95 c the temp should then drop if your
temp is higher then the fans are not coming on