water pump

nathan

how can i test my water pump

Hi chaps can anyone tell me how to check t see if my water pump is working. I took the thermostat out and stared her up and all i got was a little trickle out of the housing:shock: please help

Last edited:

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
GTiR_Mic said:
Good way to check is if you have power steering. If you dont the belt isnt turning the water pump.
the biggest clue that your water pump isn't working as it should is an unstable water temp, does it overheat when your stationary.

I think you might notice and hear if the belt is continuously slipping on a seized water pump pulley, if they do stop working or become less efficient it's usually because the water pump rotors have corroded.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
it's blowing it back into the header tank because it's overheating.

If I were you I'd get a new water pump (bout £40 ish from Nissan) and a new rad cap.

nathan

yes m8 got one on order fitting it on sunday just glad its not the head gasket only just put the engine in

Shaun

stevepudney said:
it's blowing it back into the header tank because it's overheating.

If I were you I'd get a new water pump (bout £40 ish from Nissan) and a new rad cap.
Last time i priced one it was £58 including VAT

nathan

I have managed to get 1 for £34 + vat just wish i had done it when the engine was out
never mind live and learn

nathan

I have just changed my water pump the old one looked ok how ever the rad cap looks fooked my friend said change that and give it a good bleed what do we think???????

nathan

I have just changed my water pump the old one looked ok how ever the rad cap looks fooked my friend said change that and give it a good bleed what do we think???????

vss irvine

you should bleed it anyway mate, then run it up for a few minutes with the rad cap off. and put a new one on anyway, for all they cost.

for anyone else looking for waterpumps, BLUEPRINT (adn) water pumps are actually oem nissan items with the nissan marking ground off!