Water pump failure :(

D

DaveC.

I finished servicing my gtir saturday evening and drove it for a bit and everything seemed fine. Sunday morning i was driving to football and left the car outside a shop idling, when i got in the car i could smell something not quite right and when i looked at the temperature gauge it was up almost three thirds of the way so i quickly turned it off.
Looked under the car and could see coolant so i popped the bonnet and saw the coolant bubbling out of the water pump.
I know it is my fault as i replaced the coolant and did not bleed the system as the bleed hole was blocked, so i thought id remove the thermostat housing but one of the bolts had been snapped off in the housing :doh:. This makes me think that last time the coolant was replaced the same thing happened and they tried removing the thermostat housing and snapped the bolt.
Anyway i got oil pressure and started the car with the radiator cap off letting the air bubble out, kept topping it up hoping this would release all the air out of the system, then put the cap on, got it up to temperature so the thermostat opened and finally when it cooled down topped it up again. Ran the car up to temperature again and it seemed fine. I take it this wasnt enough and the cause of the water pump failing?

Sorry if i bored you :roll:

Any input would be appreciated.:oops:

D

DaveC.

Just finished doing the thermostat housing and water pump...was great fun.