Water Levels After Radiator Change?

antgtir

Hello all,

Yesterday i picked up my new Radiator (thanks to Pete;-) ) and on my way back to my dads (where the tools and garage is lol) obviously watching temps etc as i new my leak was progressively getting worse i noticed the oil temp start to creep up and then looked at the water temp which was starting to increase at a fast pace, literally 1/2 a junction away from my turn off the motorway i had to pull over before the engine boiled.

Anyway got the R home and changed the radiator for the new one. Cleaned and bleed the system (with the heaters on lol) and no leaks, everything fine. Now normally you would expect a decrease in water level in the header tank however i checked it this morning and the water level was still in the tank but below min.

So thinking ahead i took the water/antifreeze out of the boot and topped the tank up again. Literally 10 mins of driving not even enough to heat through the oil lol and the water level has dropped again by approx 1-2cm.

My question is, is this normal and should the level steady soon? or have i forgotten something and made a school boy error:doh: lol?

Your feedback on this would be greatly appreciated, many thanks in advance.

Ant.:-D

J

justin666

When I changed mine it did seem to take a couple of days and a few miles of driving before the level settled. Prob worth just checking the top and bottom hose just to make completely sure they are on properly tho :) . I have lost water from the top rad hose before when I pushed it on a tad to far and it wouldnt quite seal perfectly. Only spotted this when I had the bonnet open and engine running and noticed a small bubbles from round the hose. Worth a double check i recon :)

J.

j10gtr

You check the water level and top it up on the top of radiator the header tank is a resevoir for expansion me thinks.

Thanks
Paul

antgtir

Justin666: - I have checked all hoses attached and they seem fine no drips, perfectly dry.

j10gtr: - I filled the radiator up first then filled the header tank up then started the engine up with heaters blowing and the caps off until the water started to warm and expand enough to start trickling over the top radiator filler.

Gray: - I think i got all the air out of the system as i left it running for quite some time with like i said blowers on full and hot.

Maybe as already said will just take a couple of days to find its level again, will have to keep checking, cheers for the replies.

Ant.

stumo

The level will go up and down as it heats up and cools down, have you got the air out of the bleed screw by the thermostat? (it's level with the top thermostat bolt and slightly to the left)

antgtir

stumo said:
The level will go up and down as it heats up and cools down, have you got the air out of the bleed screw by the thermostat? (it's level with the top thermostat bolt and slightly to the left)
I haven't touched this bleed screw. Would this cause air to be trapped still even though i bleed it without this open??

Ant.

antgtir

Just to let everyone know the water level has now settled and is perfect everytime i check it:-D must have just been the new rad bedding in and any other remaining air locks being removed in the expansion tank.:-D

Thanks to all and big thanks to Pete for sourcing me a new rad very fast, cheers matey.

Ant.