Water in plug wells

smiddy

As title, how do I dry out plug wells?
Noticed plugs damp when I took them out and can see damp where they screw in.

Dangerous Dave

sounds about right:lol:

Do you have a fmic?? if you do try and get hold of a plug cover!

i normaly just start the car up and the heat from the engine will evaporate the water.

Or get some bog roll and mop it up!

smiddy

Yea, have front mount.
So just get a rag in there on end of screwdriver or something?
Spray WD40 in there?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Do you have "uprated" leads? - I've never had a problem with water in the plug wells, and I have a front mount and no plug cover, and standard leads.
Water definitely gets into the engine bay because the lagging gets wet and steams.

smiddy

There is damp right down at the bottom of the wells, where the spark plug tip would be? Tried getting a rag right down there but with no luck. Would wd40 help with the damp?

smiddy

Sorry meant to add, they are standard leads, but car has been lay up for a long time and so seems to have got damp down there.

Dangerous Dave

There is damp right down at the bottom of the wells, where the spark plug tip would be? Tried getting a rag right down there but with no luck. Would wd40 help with the damp?

Have you taken the spark plug out??

When you look down the well (with the spark plug out) you see the damp on the top of the piston?

smiddy

No its backfiring a lot, i've cleaned the plugs so i'll take it for a quick spin to see how its going

Dangerous Dave

Me old man has just turned up at mine and said either put the car in a garage and leave the plugs out over night see if it drys up at all, or get a hair dryer on it.

Dangerous Dave

Have no garage so will get the hairdryer out now, havent used one of those in whilie lol.
Haha i bet your a longhaired lover from liverpool!:lol:

you sure its not just fuel:doh: get it fired up and see what it runs like they pop and fart for fun you know:-D

smiddy

HaHa, Yea used to have hair half way down my back, not so much now though:lol::lol:
I'll get it out for a run shortly, had the hair dryer at it but its started to drizzle before I got plugs back in, so all covered up again.

smiddy

Took the car out for a quick spin. It pulled ok but backfiring a lot off throttle even on its way down from 2000rpm when driving easy. I let the car cool down when I got back and now it wont start again.:?
Anyone any ideas?

smiddy

I've put £45 of petrol in although the car was empty when I got it, so put a new fuel filter on also. Can't get vpower but car was mapped for 95ron.

darkyGTI-R

Wish my car was time warped mapped for 48p petrol when it was so fooking cheap, there was no complaining about prices back then!