water found in spark plug well/help

A

ale

Driving my gtir as you do! i fond that it was struggling to rev higher than 4.5k below this it ran sweet, so i thought i would check the spark plugs. On doing so the first two looked fine but before removing the third one i noticed the hole was a third full of water, so obviously i had found the problem, i dried it out before removing the plug! With all the plugs now clean and dry i refitted everything and took it for a test run, excellent it hasn't run so responsive for a week or so. my problem is how did the water get in there? the HT leads have the rubber hat to cover the hole, i am still using a top mount at present, my first thought was head gasket then i thought don't be stupid it wouldn't let water on the top of the plug cause the gasket is below, or am i stupid what do you think and does anyone have any ideas where the water would of come from :?:

OZ-Racing

I had the same problem everytime we got 'sideways' rain, or I got a little over enthusiastic with the hose pipe when cleaning the car :oops:

It started when I took the blanking plates out of the bonnet grills, so I have replaced the drivers side plate and all seems well :?

Jet washed it the other day, didn't hold back, no probs. :)

If you still have your blanking plates in, you might find it's your rubber seals gone on the intercooler grill (assuming you are still topmount). :roll:

Hope this helps.

S

stomski

the spark covers have tiny holes at the top, this lets out small amounts of steam and sometimes a little water can get in.

other than that, washing the car - the water drips onto the top mount holds on the edge and drips under and onto the sparks - like pouring out of a jug and it spills under the jug.

hope this helps.

you can also take out the leads/sparks and pop them in the airing cupboard overnite :D

B

BFMurphy

it is probably just rain water through the bonnet vent. falling through the intercooler. do you have the plate the covers 3 and four plugs? if not, then thats maybe where it is coming from.