wastegate size

rx jamie

what size ex wastegate would be best used on a T04E 57 trim 450 hp turbo running 30 psi ? just ordering a shorty manifold and not sure what size flange to get fabricated on the manifold. 38mm two bolt should be fine shouldnt it ?

WUZ

2 BAR on a T04E - check your compressor map as I think you'll be WELL outside your turbo's efficiency area!

38mm tbh will be fine seeing as its a 2 litre car you running as its only produces a certain amount of exhaust gas and this is based on egine diplacement! - my Scoob has a 38mm EWG on a 2.35 and the EWG can cope fine with +/- 490bhp! BUT THIS SCOOB INFO MAY NOT WORK ON A PULSAR (Rob tells me the Scoob is nothing more than a tractor................tractor last forever though ;)

Take a look at a 450 bhp "internally gated" turbo some time and you'll see the wastegate for it will only be around about 30mm

Russell

rx jamie

the turbine and compressors a/r ratios are the same as gt3071 if that helps. my mate wezz is going for a 44mm aswell actually, on a gt30 or gt35 cant remember.

WUZ

If it was a bigger engine than, say a 2.3litre, I'd go for a 44mm but as Rob says, they are about the same cost so maybe get the bigger one just in case!

Russell

M

mascot

i would go 44mm mate cant realy go to big to be honest

better of going bigger to start with then you are fine for future plans if you decide you require more power

this is just my opinion though

J

jpward

WUZ said:
2 BAR on a T04E - check your compressor map as I think you'll be WELL outside your turbo's efficiency area!

38mm tbh will be fine seeing as its a 2 litre car you running as its only produces a certain amount of exhaust gas and this is based on egine diplacement! - my Scoob has a 38mm EWG on a 2.35 and the EWG can cope fine with +/- 490bhp! BUT THIS SCOOB INFO MAY NOT WORK ON A PULSAR (Rob tells me the Scoob is nothing more than a tractor................tractor last forever though ;)

Take a look at a 450 bhp "internally gated" turbo some time and you'll see the wastegate for it will only be around about 30mm

Russell

Sorry to jump on this thread but I noticed you could have the option of internal gate on turbo's as big as the GT3071R/GT35R surly it would struggle to cope with higher boost pressures compared to an external gate???

Someone explain advantages of each and best applications please :oops: