Wanted GTIR

Aaron Johnston

Hi Everyone,

Im new here so go easy!!!

Im looking for a resonably standard gtir. Ok they are virtually impossible to come across, but as close to standard as possible. I dont mind front mounts and intakes etc etc but I do not want something which has been heavily modified running like 350/400bhp.

Im in Ireland but travelling isnt an issue.

Willing to pay good money for the right car.

I know my best chance is a fresh import, but I want the car for the summer so unfortunately I am too impatient to wait for a car to come from Japan!!! Lol

Thanks

Aaron

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
The good news is that you've probably ruled-out anything with a bigger turbo... which would also mean bigger injectors and an after-market ECU.

As long as you're being reasonable it shouldn't be too hard to find something; there are plenty of cars that aren't absolutely stock, but also aren't that modified either. - Probably suspension (since 25-year old shocks will be shot by now), maybe brakes, exhaust, and wheels.

Aaron Johnston

Yea I don't mind the safety modifications such as brakes, shocks etc. I'm just looking for something as mechanically standard as possible.

Any advice on where to look? Ive scrolled through the usual sites, gumtree, donedeal, PH and the for sale section on the forum here, but I cannot seem to find anything.

Any major faults or issues to look out for when buying? Obvioulsy rust being the main one!! Lol

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated!!

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Rust is a point to look out for!

You'll find that most cars don't come with a comprehensive service history, but anyone that documents work with receipts, parts that's been installed on the car and you can see that they have spent time maintaining their car, is usually a good sign.
Not only that we know (the owners club) many cars on the market and can always give advice on good cars and potential money pits.

I can tell you from experience that sticking with basic modifications such as, air filter, exhaust, fuel pump, aftermarket clutch, suspension and brakes will be fun to drive, be more reliable and much less problematic than a car with many modifications (like mine for example).

If the car has standard injectors, AFM, turbo (or up-rated 360 bearing unit) your on to a winner.
Although decent remap (using a Nistune ECU) with basic modification is an excellent choice and will make the car much more driveable, smoother and potentially use less fuel when on the motorway. Not only that you'll have peace of mind knowing its running right!

A decent set up GTiR with around 300-320bhp will be more than capable on the road and dispatch pretty much anything that wants to "have a go" with you, unless its a GTR and then you might as well save your fuel!

The cars are becoming rare now and prices are starting to increase, I guess its a waiting game and if you find something that looks like you'd be happy to buy then its always worth running it past the owners club to see if we spot anything positive or negative you might have missed!

Welcome to the forum!

keastygtir

great advice above,

Also checking the build threads will give you an idea of what rust to look out for