VALVES !!!!!!!!

cojack

hi guys i need a bit of advice. while my R has been off the road i have been checking out some of the engine. Ihad a oil leak form r/c gasget. so off it came.before i bought the car i knew it had a cam shaft. so i checked the valve clearances.

I found most of them to be well to tight some of them only have a gap of around the 0.20mm to 0.25mm.

what i would like to know if any of you guys out there have had any problems with valve seat resission. or just replace the shims. i dont really want to pull the head off it but if needs must.

cojack

got a ex nissan tech at my work and in his little nissan book it says 0.30mm-0.35mm for SR20 DET. also it says when hot which i have not seen before. also on my c.d with the manuals it was in the 0.30mm range

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I have the paper manual in my hand, and it says 0.3-0.35mm hot and 0.21-0.26mm when cold.
Are you checking them hot then? If they're all the same (ish) then maybe someone set them up wrong. :?

cojack

no fast guy checking them stone cold. in the book the nissan guy had it didnt give me a cold reading. i will try them tomorrow with your readings. do these engines suffer with valve seat ression :?:

cojack

spot on kidda will re check them tomorrow spat me dummy out before with so cant remember what they were. just to tight cheers will let you know

cojack

ok re checked all the valve clearances. 4 of them to tight not by much they were between 0.15 and 0.20 the 0.15 was the tightest of all they were between the two cams i also noticed some wear on ex cam no2 not much but enought all the other lobs on the ex cam were ok and none of the spray bars werent blocked either.

so now i in a pickle do i buy a new ex cam and re shim all of them or buy 2 new cams big ones and re shim.

does any body know how much shims are.
how much roughly for cams standard or performance
and which wud be the best cams to use many thanks

A

ard1ey

Shims come in two styles, the full shim and the locating shim which has a slot in the top. Full shims are AFAIK £18, location shims are £4.

Not sure about cam prices, I got a set of Tomei cams off a forum member for approx £300. You could also go HKS, JUN, or Piper. Cam spec really depends on what you have done to the car and what you want. Reasonable driveable power or mega-bhp thats pants on normal roads.

cojack

the shims do have a slot in the top. not sure what power i will be looking for it will be used every day when i do get it on the road but will be looking to run it at 1 bar for now. it is standard apart from full system and k&n filter.