Valve tick??? and power loss

A

Anonymous

Ok, I have a b13 nissan sentra that i swapped a gti-r motor into. Im running a jwt ecu with Mustang Cobra maf sensor, and 50lb injectors....
after swapping the motor, im coming across a few problems....

first theres a really loud valve tick and was wondering how you would adjust the valves on the R engine. I heard it was solid lifters....where as all our US spec sr20's have hydrolic lifters. I had the rocker cover off the car before the engine install and didnt notice any to adjust. whats the easiest way to get rid of this horrible valve tick?

Second, I was wondering if anyone has had an 02 sensor gone bad, because the one i have in there now, got destroyed and burnt apart and i found pieces of it in my catylitic converter because the car was running crappy at first and was blowing crazy black soot everywhere. (I didnt have the Maf grounded all the way). But now the ECU is running a code 33, which is O2 sensor, and the car doesnt nearly go as fast as it should. It doesnt even seem like its boosting. I wont lose traction at all and its a front wheel drive car with crappy tires.... would an 02 sensor really make that much of a difference?

sorry if that was confusing....any help is greatly appreciated. thanks

youngsyp

Firstly, for adjusting the valve clearances, you will need a set off shims. This is the only way you can adjust them on this engine. However, there will always be a small amount of noise from the head due to the solid lifters and timing chain. This shouldn't be a loud ticking though !
Secondly, the o2 sensor would make a lot of difference to the way the car runs as it is how the ecu controls the mixture. Also, I'm not sure about this but, with this error code, the ecu could be running in 'safe mode' meaning minimum boost and a total retardation of base timing i.e. from 20 degrees advanced to 10 degrees advanced.

HTH

Paul

A

Anonymous

Do you know where i can get a set of shims online? Im in the US so its not to easy to get stuff for the motor over here. Also Im running an sr20de wiring harness and Ecu, the one that came with the car and wired it up to the gti-r motor, so the ECU doesnt have a safemode. I just had the Ecu tuned by JWT for the 50lb injectors, 8:3:1 compression, cobra Maf, and 8000rpm rev limit. It feels like the car starts to boost but doesnt finish....its not a very steady pull at all.

ps. what do you use to fit in the new shims, is there a special tool for it?

J

jiw

you will just have to remove the cams once you have found out the gaps using feelers, once the cams are removed you will need to measure the shim's and work out what sizes you need from the clearences you measured and the factory settings, then you get the pleasure of waiting a couple of months for the shims :D

A

Anonymous

ok so im not worrying about that valve tick right now then...
I swapped the 02 sensor off the R into my sr20det s13 motor and it ran fine... turns out that the pieces of an o2 sensor in the catylitic converter on the sentra, were pieces from the old motors o2 sensor. The code now reads 55, which means everythings good. But it still doesnt work right, Im hooking up a boost gauge today to see what kind of readings im getting.
Since im using the sr20de ecu, the boost control solenoid that you guys have on your R's isnt on this setup. So im running the wastegate actuators stock setting of 7psi. Since the R is setup for 10psi of boost would the car run that much different you think?