Valve spring

cmng

what valve spring can hold 12mm lift ?

i was told tomei spec only 11.5mm only

SR16VE N1 is 12mm lift as original spec
do it same with RNN14 valve spring ?

A

Anonymous

i've got std springs as well as 12mm lift but the "experts" say i doing it wrong :wink:

R

robinsongtir

you can get Ferrea valve springs and seat locators from the US that are from the nissan sentra turbo that fit straight in they can handle 13.5mm lift.Depends who you ask about the tomei valve springs they sell cams that lift as high as 12.5mm that I have and then only spec the valve springs to 11.5mm double springs but I am no convinced they must be good for 12.5mm lift if they are selling cams to cater for 12.5mm lift.I have gone for some dual valves springs from Ferrea to be on the safe side anyway :D

skiddusmarkus

From memory I think the Tomei ones go to 11.8mm.Seems daft as they do 11.5,12&12.5 mm lift cams.I went for them as I want to increase the rev limit and they have to be an improvement over the standard ones which are designed for 10mm or so.I hope :shock: .

Nad

robinsongtir said:
Depends who you ask about the tomei valve springs they sell cams that lift as high as 12.5mm that I have and then only spec the valve springs to 11.5mm double springs but I am no convinced they must be good for 12.5mm lift if they are selling cams to cater for 12.5mm lift.
Pete remember i spoke to Tomei and even they said not to use them as they would bind and wear down the cam just like the standard ones would. Run standard if u want to risk ur engine or wear it down, i dont. If i had more than 1 finger to type with i would list all reasons why u need rite spring and how it is diff from standard one. Its to do with harmonics of the spring as well iirc. It wears stuf more than it is likely to brake and better matched spring less friction better performance in the short.

GINGA

I removed my cams after over 5k miles and they were good as new :wink: and judging by the fact power was still going up at 7.5k rpm I doubt they suffered with any valve bounce either.
Also when I refitted the standard cams back in the clearances hadn't changed at all 8)

Nad

Thats cause ur turbo spins up so slow the revs never climb at any great speed :p

Thing is some parts are better than others which why some standard engines go for ages others dont.

M

MarkMc

I have 10.8 lift 264 duration JUN solid cams with JUN double valve springs(inner and outer JUN). Its insurance do you drive with out insurance. I don’t. :wink:

Doesn’t The SR20 none turbo come out standard(in VVL models) with up to 270 to 280 duration and something like 12 to 13 mm lift(and lower ones too). Any one know what springs they use on the aspirated variable valve timing model with the wild cams. :?:

Mark