Valve Shims - speak to me

Big Daz

Anyone any experience of valve shimming on the SR20DET engine?
Mine's is currently being rebuilt and in need of about a dozen different thickness of flat and slotted shims. Problem is, they are on back order in Nissan Japan and earliest arrival is mid April :(
I need to get back on track asap, anyone know of any stockists or workarounds?
Cheers
Daz

Big Daz

Thats a good thread 8), unfortunatly as my head has been skimmed / valve seats redone, I need thinner than existing shims rather than thicker, been looking at getting existing ones ground, but the time and cost looks to be about the same as getting new ones from the other side of the world :doh:

P

pulsarboby

what kind of clearances have you got or are they all tight with no clearance?
in which case its difficult to say what sized shims youll actually need

what you could do is skim down the washer which fits under the rocker pivot this will give you added clearance there.
weve got a big bag of various sized shims which we use for engine builds we do and most of them are the smaller sizes as its the bigger ones which are more often used
if you really get stuck then as a last resort send your old ones down to us and il try match them up with around 0.10mm smaller but youll need to pay something for our time in doing this as will need to go through them all with a micrometer

Big Daz

Hi Bobby, what I need is :-
SLOTTED SHIM SIZES
1x 0.0925
1x 0.0930
1x 0.0935
1x 0.0950
2x 0.0985

FLAT SHIMS
1x 0.0900
1x 0.0910
1x 0.0955
1x 0.0980
2x 0.0985
No probs with funding you to spend an hour or so sitting on a chair with a micrometer ;-)

Cheers

Daz