VAG Ignition Coil Pack Converstion (Audi R8)

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member

Some of you might have seen this video from Mighty Car Mods.

One of the most interesting things I have seen is this conversation to Audi R8 coil packs. :)

I’ve had a look in the interwebs, but I’ve struggled to find much information on a GTiR conversion “how to guide”
I’ve seen S13/S14 videos on YouTube, but nothing that really breaks down the GTiR installation.

I don’t know if anyone has any information on this or has a link to a conversion “how to guide”

I’m looking to remove the Nistune from my car when I rebuild the engine later this year to replace it with a Haltec (not because it’s on MCM’s), but this conversion would be a great addition to the GTiR and also I can then upload or have an “Official” GTIROC HOW TO GUIDE on here for anyone else wanting to upgrade. :cool:

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
It doesn't, look very complicated assuming you've got the haltech installed. The loom they bought takes the 12v and signal to each individual coil. The loom they made up routes the signal back to the haltech. The haltech signals each individual coil.

The PFC I use can't trigger individual coils so I have to use a mechanical distributor still to signal the appropriate plug.

Coil packs are neater, uprated coil and amplifier still works.

I expect half the problem nowadays is getting new standard parts so aftermarket is easier