Using an Amal Valve...

Sam_M

Just wondered about this really, keep hearing about 1bar of boost and it transforms the car, so wouldnt mind trying this for myself.

I was looking at getting an AVR-C boost controller, obviously fairly pricey to get the 1bar, but I know its alot more to it than that, anyway... was thinking, Ive read alot of posts about people who use bleed valves to get the boost up. Im tempted to try this, but using a 3-way bleed valve, and also connecting an amal valve so at the flick of a switch in the car it`ll boost to 1bar, and if the amal valve should fail then it wouldnt boost more than 1bar as the bleed valve is set at that, kinda like a safety feature. Ive already fitted a mod like this to my 11T and it works brilliantly. Never had a problem. Boost doesnt spike and probably one of the best mods ive done on that car.

Has anyone ever done something like this to their R??. The problem I have is the technology is so much better than a carb`d Renault Turbo :lol: but the princible should be the same.

Interested on what peeps thoughts are on this??

Sam_M

just realised I posted this in the wrong bit..... :doh: moderaters please move, sorry

Last edited:

youngsyp

I think most people on here would advise you to go with an electronic boost controller, simply because they are more reliable and hold boost better than any MBC !

If you can't stretch to the AVC-R (these go for around £275, if you look in the right places now !), something like the Greddy Profec B is a very good buy and easier to set up and use than the AVC-R. Basically, set your boost target, set the gain and away you go ! The Profec can be had for just over £200 iirc, if you shop around ! Buying one of these second hand, is a pretty safe bet too !

Not sure what an 'Amal' valve is but, when I had my GT4 and when I first got the R, I used a 'relief valve'. This is just a pressure triggered ball and spring valve. You adjust it to get your target boost and when it hits that target, the valve opens and allows the boost pressure to be controlled by the wastegate and actuator. Very crude but, simple, accurate and cheap and best of all, minimal to no spiking !

Lastly, if you're gonna run 1 bar, you should really get the fuelling and ignition timing checked and ideally replace the 12 + year old fuel pump with an uprated Walbro item !

Sam_M

thanks for the reply, and thats a fair point with the boost controller, The greddy profec sounds like a good buy to me :). My R already has a walbro pump fitted as I believe it had been runing 1bar before I bought it.

The Amal valve is from an RS Turbo, basically a solenoid when hooked up to 12v it opens up and bleeds off what the bleed valve is set at, and obviously can be hooked up to an in car switch. 2 amal valves can be hooked up for different stages off boost, but this is really a very very cheap way of doing it, altho suprisingly effective.

In the end a propah boost controller would be the best option I agree. :thumbsup:

kevgti-r

i think it went upto 1.2 at some point :lol:
iirc mart did have a blitz boost controler fitted last time i saw the car, why dont you phone him to see if hes still got it;-)