usefull info just discovered

P

pulsarboby

as you all know im still running my newly built engine in, but noticed that the oil pressure at idle hot was just below 2 bar (which isnt a prob in itself)
but heres the weird bit lol

i tried different oil pressure sensors and reading stayed the same so knew that was fine!
but day before yesterday i changed the set of 3 gauges to another set:-D then got 3 bar oil pressure when hot @ idle
tried another set 1 bar pressure at idle
tried another set 3 1/2 bar at idle:lol: :lol:
eventually plumped for a set that gives me 8 bar at idle (cold) 4 bar @ idle hot:roll:

this just goes to show that these gauges cannot be relied upon at all, perhaps thats why engines that have spun a shell still read good oil pressure in some instances.
think out of all the gauges and stuff (if standard) your best form of defence for your engine is your ears;-) and the oil pressure warning light!

so if you are thinking of purchasing a car, ignore gauge readings and open your earholes for bottom end knocks or rattles, the gauges are as much use as a one legged bloke in an ass kicking competition:lol:

J

JayRA

The needles are easy enough to take off and reset anywhere someone might want to when preparing to sell a car, just to make it look all good, so i deffo agree, dont reley on the gauges being correct when buying a car.
Saying this, if you know your own car is healthy, and you know where the needles usually sit, then they can be used as an indication.

EVOBAD

:-D he is not saying his needles are wrong he states he tryed a few diffrent guages & they all read diffrent presures iv allways thought that srd /after market guages are pants iv had two bottom ends go over the years &oil presure has been fine:-D

davey red.r

ive had 3 now bob, and every one had a good engine, but they all read different oil pressures,my current r, reads 2 warm on idle, up to 6 on acceleration.

davey

P

pulsarboby

not everyone has the wisdom of knowledge mr noriek;-) and many people dont know just how unaccurate these gauges are!
i never knew untill i carried out the tests to find out for myself, so this info should really help a lot of people that dont know everything unlike you obviously do:roll: :-D

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
if you'd have done a search you would have discovered the subject has been discussed at length many, many times before.

red reading

but you would not search for something if you did'nt think there was anything wrong,bob just noticed this buy chance!

P

pulsarboby

red reading said:
but you would not search for something if you did'nt think there was anything wrong,bob just noticed this buy chance!

yes thats true danny:-D why would you look for something if you never knew anything about a problem.
i knew gauges were unaccurate, but was shocked to find just how unaccurate they really are.
surely anything that will benefit a possible buyer or newbie is better than no info at all, where does it state anything about gauges in the buyers guide???

that search thing is alright if you know what you want to search for in the first place lol

Sam_M

Well I aways thought it was the boost gauge which was the one which can give varied readings, but this has opened up my eyes (and ears), good post. That is worrying it can be so different.

mattytappy

Can you get a good reliable after market oil pressure gauge that you can get a true reading from.....and where does it plum into the car?...in the same place as the old one?

gunmetalgtir

mattytappy said:
Can you get a good reliable after market oil pressure gauge that you can get a true reading from.....and where does it plum into the car?...in the same place as the old one?
Of course you can! :eek:k:

gunmetalgtir

You'll get a new sensor with the gauge, I wouldn't trust a 15 year old one and would change it anyway even if they didn't give you one!

http://www.mygarage-glasgow.co.uk/

This guy sells some gauges etc, mention my name and you should get a good price on them! ;-)

PM me for details! :-D

Last edited:
P

pulsarboby

depends whether its an electronic or manual pressure type gauge.
the fittings may differ slightly but most will provide a bush if they are anything other than standard, so wont be a hard job to fit!
think il get one meself matty after finding out what i have.

btw pm me about that shield thing you were after as cars now stripped and i cant remember what it was you wanted lol

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
personally I have never fully trusted the electronic sensor type of pressure gauge, imo you get more reliability from a mechanical gauge that plums straight into the system.
I bought a new sensor for mine a year or so ago and since then my pressure readings have become far more consistent.

The other school of thought is to rip the gauge out, forget about it and just drive the bloody car :)

warringtonjack

stevepudney said:
The other school of thought is to rip the gauge out, forget about it and just drive the bloody car :)

Hehe, the only time I ever look at the gauge is when I'm idling at lights! I'm always too busy concentrating on other things, like other traffic, or the next sharp corner!!! :lol: