usefull info and warning for those using lower springs

P

pulsarboby

over the last few weeks ive learned a hell of a lot with regard to suspension setups etc, im far far way from what jim knows on here but i have learned something thats of very relative importance to thiose using lowering springs on stock type struts, so il pass on to you what ive learned and upto you's whether you think im talking out my arse or not lol

ok after recently fitting a set of gabs with lowering springs to my track/road based car i took it back to a motorsport company to have all the alignment etc setup again, only to get a call from them a couple hours later saying he had set it up best he could but advised me to pop down so he could show me a crucial defect in the system.
so of course i was now very curious as to what could possibly be wrong
so heres what ive learnt and seen with my own eyes so know its not a load of bull:lol:

basically all standard type struts fitted to a pulsar / sunny are designed for rally use with high springs and long outer casings.
they are designed to run with high stock springs (as standard ride height shows) to allow for compression of the centre damping rod of strut (squish i think he said its called) this is basically the amount the spring compresses when the weight of the car is on the springs.

now when you fit lowering springs to said struts you only leave around 1''1/2 of rod compression before car hits the bump stops (ive never noticed this before) now with gabs or other similar adjustable damping suspension you can stiffen the damping which does help with rebound but its still far from correct.

for those that are not aware of what im talking about or trying to put across.....as soon as the bumpstop bottoms out (either on hard road driving or circuit)
you just as well have four lumps of wood as suspension as the car will break free and lose grip completely which is obviously far from ideal and could be dangerous!

if you look at a set of coilovers and compare the bodies to a set of stock struts, gabs, konis, kyb etc you will see that the bodies are around one and half inches shorter to allow for more damping rod movement, plus the squish on them (weight of car) is only around 2'' compared to about 4'' on lowering springs so basically they are built for purpose.

theres a lot of cars running round with lowering springs on standard type struts but you are hugely compromising handling and car stability by having these fitted, its certainly made me think about going this route now that ive seen what he means with my own eyes.
he said ideally if he were designing a strut for this type of car (taking into account the weight of car with 4wd system) he would have made the stock housings around 2'' shorter for road and circuit use

so make of this what you will gents, just be carefull and aware if your nailing your car round the twisties on the road, if you hit a dip or pothole it could all end in tears!!!

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
The fact you've never noticed it before suggests to me that while it is a potential problem, it's not going to be a problem to most people unless driven very hard around tight bends or rougher services.
Lowering springs are normally stiffer than standard ones so it will take more loading to travel those remaining inches on the damper.

Some coilovers feel that stiff compare to normal that you wonder if they aren't just lumps of wood.

Jon Olds

Years ago I did some measurements on a mk1 golf rallycross car i was building. came to the same conclusion. so I chopped all four suspension tops off and welded in 40mm bands to raise them. still have the car. some shocks have internal bump stops also, not sure which ones tho.
Jon

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Progresive springs would help with such issue, as when they load up they would stop/reduce hitting the bump stop.

As mentioned, unless you are doing Rallycross or Rallying then it shouldn't really be an issue
If you are then there are off the shelf products designed to take the suspension brunt of these disiplins.

Lowering springs are more cosmetic than anything else.

Last edited:
P

pulsarboby

as said theres a big umber of cars running round with lowering springs so not a big deal really but just pointing out what i never knew before as never really took any notice of rod movement when car was on the deck

having sai what i said in first post though
i just went out and did my quickest ever lap at cadwell on thursday on gabs with lowering spings, so make of it what you will:lol:

Sunny GTi

I don't think this issue of suspension travel is GTi-R specific, it's something to do with the way Nissan designed the suspension on cars of this era.

It's been talked about on the SR20-forum for years, apparently a modified Koni setup is preferable for performance applications.

craigcarlon

How much is a gabs kit with springs? I hear good things about them and I'll be looking into a new setup soon, cheers.

MarkTurbo

I don't think i've ever had my koni dampers with whiteline lowering springs on the bumpstops, and believe me i've tried ;-)

They seem to have a decent amount of travel even with lowering springs, and i've spoken to somebody that used to work for a company that made suspension for wrc cars etc and when i mentioned putting a set of cheap coilovers (Tein etc) on my car his response was stick with what you're using now!