Urgent help/info needed !!!!

c4cpa

I got a puncture in the side wall of one of my tyres today :evil: so i thought i'd change the front 2 wheels for my other set ( only 2 have decent tyres) but have just remebered that these tyres are 205/45/r16 and the back 2 are 215/40/r16.

Are these ok to drive on for a short while from both a legal and damage control point of view ???????

Cheers,
Colin.

B

bex

i cant see any problem with it

dont some cars have different sized wheels? cant see it being much different for tyre sizes?

oldaneal

think in the rallys nissan were usin 15's on the front and 16's on the back so would think your ok with a small difference

B

bex

new Mr. Two's have different sized wheels front and back i think! ;)

c4cpa

Cheers guys - was just worried that the old bill might not like it to much. I was told that different tyre sizes was 'highly illegal' !! lol

B

bex

well i dont think it is...

but if you get pulled and fined and points!

its not my fault! hahahaha

little disclaimer there :p

ram5ay

I would worry more about knackerin your centre diff than legality issues!
You could work out the exact diameter of each pair to check how similar they are (those sizes should be pretty good match), but if it was me I'd just get some new un's insted of riskin it.

c4cpa

Would only be using em untill sat, can't be driving around with 2 silver and 2 gold wheels !!!!! bit chav lol :lol:

Gray

Just means your back tyres are wider than your front tyres
Quite a lot of cars have wider tyres at the back but they are usually RWD
You shouldn't have any problems, but like someone else said I'm not too sure on the effects on a AWD car but i'm sure it won't do anything.

J

justin666

ram5ay said:
I would worry more about knackerin your centre diff than legality issues!
You could work out the exact diameter of each pair to check how similar they are (those sizes should be pretty good match), but if it was me I'd just get some new un's insted of riskin it.
What he said ^^^^

To me it doesnt seem the best idea to have wheels of different rolling radius as im sure it cant e any good for the transfer box and diffs!!

Bad example this but on the likes of the old cav gsi 4x4's, just uneven tyre wear could cause the tranny and diffs to die!! I know the R isnt as bad as the Cav but personally i wouldnt do it.

J.

ram5ay

Gray said:
Just means your back tyres are wider than your front tyres
Quite a lot of cars have wider tyres at the back but they are usually RWD
You shouldn't have any problems, but like someone else said I'm not too sure on the effects on a AWD car but i'm sure it won't do anything.
The profiles are different which will affect diameter too: 205/40 = 205mm wide with 40% of the width as sidewall, if that makes sence.

I've seen a scoob type R with a feked centre diff cos of this, and a Pajero, but they had both been driven for a good while.

Gray

Oh yeah didnt notice the tyre wall diametre was 40 / 45 aswell
Not sure what type of effect that would have, obviously not too good by what others have said.

leon2engines

i belive its called "diff wind up"(where 1 axel is tryin to turn faster or slower than the other 1). tyres with more than 5 mm difference should not be used. (not my words, from a technical bulitin i got when i was at kwikfit) but ive exceeded this and been fine on cars that came back months sometimes years later for other stuff. as for legal reasons im sure you'll be ok

MarkTurbo

deisel weasel said:
leon2engines said:
technical
2 words you wont see used together often :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Usually the most technical thing a kwik fit employee will have to do is make more than 4 cups of tea at once :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ive met quite a few f**kwits over the years and out of all of them i think most kwik fit employees take the award for being the biggest bunch of retarded s**theads on the planet :wink:

leon2engines

MarkTurbo said:
deisel weasel said:
leon2engines said:
technical
2 words you wont see used together often :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Usually the most technical thing a kwik fit employee will have to do is make more than 4 cups of tea at once :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ive met quite a few f**kwits over the years and out of all of them i think most kwik fit employees take the award for being the biggest bunch of retarded s**theads on the planet :wink:
cool