Upgrading...

K

kizzyturbo4x4

Im going to recive my ny extra engine for my build project next month, and now are planning what to do and what parts to use.
would really like your opinion and help on this :)

goaling 400-450 engine HP. well after 20sec thinkin.. im open to make it more but dont want no lagqueen ;)

1 Which pistons?
2 Which turbo?
3 Which head gasket/compression ratio?

4 how much will the standard bottom end(and rods) handle when service upon rebuild (rebalance,new bearings etc)
-will it hold it? or should i do more to it?

5 what to do about the head? are doing reflowing and porting but valves/springs etc?

All other thoughts welcome :D

And i do know where the search button is :D

Thanks
K.G.

Mr GTiR

1) 87mm JE pistons (£390 in a group buy when i do another one :wink: )
2) How lagg do you want the turbo?
3) Any metal (3 layer) h/g is fine. 2.0mm should allow you to run quite high boost
4) std crank and rods should see you good for 400 - 450 bhp. Just get the bottom end full lightened and balanced. That's all i've done in my 400bhp rebuild. Also, worth getting ARP rod bolts and head studs.
5) Bigger valves means you can flow more air and run wilder cams. For the power your looking at standard items should be fine.

The above are just my opinions as other people will have different ways of achieving 400 - 450bhp. Get some decent cams or custom cams to flow enough air. No point in getting a big turbo if you can't feed it enough air.

K

kizzyturbo4x4

how but 264` cams? theyll up the inlet time quite enought right? an be nice to the standard valves/springs?
well about the turbo, lets say im looking to do most curving tracks and not dragrace it so.. lag vs power ... lag is quite important but shall pass 400.
how about the gt3071r? or anything similar or close to that?
:)
how will the low range torque be when using 2mm headgasket?

K

kizzyturbo4x4

I to were thinkin that about the gasket, it will ad lag in a way with reducing compressiion..
with those 87mm pistons i will have to rebore and grind the sylinders?
and must i choose a spesific gasket to suit then?
the standard pistons is 86,5mm right? :oops:
and you can get forged ones at 86mm with suited rings but it will be much better with 87mm in a rebore right?

Mr GTiR

kizzyturbo4x4 said:
I to were thinkin that about the gasket, it will ad lag in a way with reducing compressiion..
with those 87mm pistons i will have to rebore and grind the sylinders?
and must i choose a spesific gasket to suit then?
the standard pistons is 86,5mm right? :oops:
and you can get forged ones at 86mm with suited rings but it will be much better with 87mm in a rebore right?
well i'm built my engine for 400bhp with a 1.2mm h/g so i don't know why i told you 2mm :oops:

Yes with 87mm pistons the block with have to be boared out but a metal 1.2mm h/g can be used with either 86mm and 87mm pistons.

Standard GTiR pistons are 86mm

For a 86.5mm and 87mm piston they are the same price but i would go for the 87mm as you know the block, once machine will be perfect. Also, you gain more torque and engine cc with 87mm pistons 8)

K

kizzyturbo4x4

If im goin for new rods, which ones to go for?
know i must keep clear of the eagle ones..

ashills

rods are very stronmg and doubt u will damage them with teh power ur planning just get shot peened and arp bolts should take 500+ easily