Upgraded turbo

g9nhy

Hi guys I've been looking to upgrade my standard turbo I've come across this on eBay and am thinking of bidding on it, dose any one have any experience on this turbo and would I notice any difference once installed I am wanting to run about 350bhp would this turbo be capable

I don't no how to put a link up using my phone but this is item number

Thanks for your input guys

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Not much of an upgrade then if you actually want to make more power than the standard turbo.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I suspect it's meant to be a bolt-on upgrade that doesn't need a remap (or not much of one).

g9nhy

What turbo would you recommend for 350ish bhp I don't really want to pay anything over £500 for a turbo

shroom

I have a 2871 on my Pulsar running 365bhp and simular torque, its rocking on 1.4 bar I think of the top of my head, bit I am unsure if you will get one around your price bracket, I did have a pulsar on 320bhp with a standard turbo, why not buy a spare t28 and get it running more boost on the stock t28 (obv a remap needed) will be cheaper and still yield good power

g9nhy

Could i get a standard t28 turbo a give in for a rebuild with 2871 internals fitted inside there is a turbo rebuild company just 5mins away from me I could ask them if its possible and get a price that's if it is possible to do if not will just run more boost on standard turbo
i am currently running the 1bar loop I have just order an gizzmo electronic boost controller so will put it on rollers and adjust boost

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Just checking you realise the difference between making 320hp and 350hp is significant. I've known standard cars with a dawes device, clutch, a decent exhaust/downpipe and no mapping (not advocating it) make that much.

350hp means new injectors, MAF, mapping essential plus a whole load of other things that start to fall apart.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Could i get a standard t28 turbo a give in for a rebuild with 2871 internals fitted inside there is a turbo rebuild company just 5mins away from me I could ask them if its possible and get a price that's if it is possible to do if not will just run more boost on standard turbo
i am currently running the 1bar loop I have just order an gizzmo electronic boost controller so will put it on rollers and adjust boost
Won't work. Keep on your current path of upgrading what you've got with the T28.

g9nhy

Ok guys will stick to standard turbo and will see if I can get a few more bhp out of it, I am thinking of cancelling my order for the gizzmo boost controller which is costing me £200 and buying a Dawes device after doing some research on it but where do I buy it from I've done a search on eBay typing in Dawes device and nothing is coming up any one got a like to which one it is or where to get one from your help would be much appreciated

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
There seem to be a few out there but watch out for the bleed valves on E-bay as they are complete garbage.

Here is an unbranded one that doesn't come as a "kit" for £16:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Uprated-U...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2ec9774714

Get a couple of metres of braided hose along with clips from your local hydraulics shop for a few quid and you can change the feed to/from the controller at the same time. Look for one on yell/google if you don't know where it is.

Alternatively spend £50 on a branded one as a kit.

The one I found after 30 seconds of searching isn't pretty but looks decent quality with a strong spring and ceramic bearing. Sometimes these are branded as "Race" dawes device for double the price!

Whatever boost controller you use, keep the hose length from the manifold to the turbo actuator as short as practical. It will allow the controller to do it's job.

With all this money you're saving you can buy a 3" front pipe and a proper map :)

I'd wait for other comments from the forum first before doing anything, I don't claim to be an expert on buying Dawes devices.

Jim

vpulsar

I have the same one fitted to my Saab Jimbo and it works very well, I tried one of those ebay fancy alloy ones and it spiked all over the place. The dawes device works very well indeed and cost pennies.

Rob

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I can't see eBay whilst at work, but mine is just a dawes-style device (I think they're called "3 bar racing" or something now rather than "Dawes"). - It's the cheaper version with a stainless ball bearing in it (with a touch of vacuum grease to ensure it seals).

Straight off the plenum; to the device; then straight to the actuator. - Set and forget: Simple.

g9nhy

Ok thanks for that guys one last question when fitting the Dawes device do I remove the hose with the restrictor init near the plenum or do I leave it in place as I wanted to fit some silicone hose in stead

thankyou guys for your help

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I removed it. - Actually, that's not quite accurate; there wasn't one in the car when I bought it so I didn't replace it.