Up and running.

Cathode

So yesterday, I called around in regards to car insurance. Best quote I got was £184 for the year, so I took it. Really left this last minute as I had decided to bite the bullet and get the Pulsar in for an MOT @ 9:45am this morning. I was very nervous to say the least. Haven't really ran it anywhere since its rebuild. Anyway, it passed and seems to be running quite well. A bit hesitant at first but it found itself after a few miles. I've covered about 20 miles so far. Mostly just milling about the outskirts of town....with a big stupid grin on my face listening to the pressure come out of the Garrett on boost. Lovely stuff.

It's been roughly 5 years since I started the build and I can't believe this day has finally arrived. So so happy. Just got to keep an eye for any leaks anywhere and enjoy running it in.

Another Pulsar GTIR saved and back on the road.

Cathode

Thank you Andy.

Covered nearly 160 miles now. Had a few odd moments engine wise but it's running steady now. The only thing that's giving me problems are the radiators have decided to come on all the time now. Plus the car idles @1500rpm when hot. i've tried fiddling with the IAA? is that what it is? the inlet air adjustment on the manifold but it's screwed right in to its extremity so running stupidly rich. I'm going to check the TPS and if that is o.k then i'm reluctantly going to try adjusting the ITBs. If anyone reads this and has any other gems they want to drop i'm all ears.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Mine used to idle arounbd 1500-1800rpm before I removed the whole ICV system round the back of the plenum.

You "might" have a minor airleak still somewhere causing it.

Maybe someone could also correct me, but I think it ICV round the back of the plenum also has an adjustable screw?
Its been a while since I've even looked at it, but I vaigly remember adjusting something back there to reduce the idle.

Cathode

That's interesting. You see, there have been moments when I thought I could hear a leak, like a blowing exhaust manifold. That sort of clapping sound if you know what I mean. I'll give the inlet a tighten. I don't suppose the ICV is so accessible but I'll have a go and see what comes of it before thinking about mucking about with the ITBs.

Thanks for this Andy.

Cathode

Update: The problem seems to be fixed.

Initially, I was going to use a strobe gun to make sure the ignition timing was correct first, but my mate forgot to take it from his work shop home, so I couldn't borrow it. Slightly frustrating but before I give the diagnosis here are the things I tried that made absolutely no difference to the high idle (no hunting) for the benefit of others.

Advanced and retarded the ignition. No difference. Idle remained high.
Screwed in and screwed out plus cleaned the ICV on the side of the plenum. No difference. Idle remained high.
Unplugged the TPS and tried to reduce the idle using the ICV. Plugged the TPS back in. No difference. Idle remained high.
MAF is fine.
Throttle cable slack.

The problem was an air leak from the plenum inlet. After spotting it and tightening up the clip, the idle then returned to normal. Roughly around 900rpm from 1500rpm. Blip the throttle and it returns to 900rpm.

Drove it to Tesco for some 99oct, dropped a cog and gave it boost to which It responded much better than it ever has since the build.

Elementary mistake to make but it's amazing what a small leak will do.

So Andy, you were right on the money. An air leak it was.

Cathode

I'm not sure why, but they've stopped working all the time now. The car's electrics are bewitched.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Well done Cathode, great news. When I was reading your symptoms I was thinking air leak. On my first engine build the inlet air gasket had a slight leak. I swapped it out to fix the problem. There are so many opportunities to leak in the inlet manifold area, you just have to keep going round them all. Glad you worked it out.

Cathode

Hey Campbell

Thanks! it took a while to hunt down the offending article but i got there in the end.