unusal loss of power

M

mynheers_a_pint

I have search through material on this site for as mmuch information for the cause of a number of performance related issues but have not found anything that sounds the same. Having said that, it coulsd be a mixture of a number of things.

Basically about a week or 2 ago my car started loosing power above 6k and every so often it would hesitate under accelleration. It felt like the turbo had run out of puff and having read various posts on here i deduced that it could be a few things. So, hasving repalced all ignition parts a few months ago (plugs, dissy, rotor, leads) i decided it could be a fuelling issue. I first replaced my fuel filter and today, i replaced my fuel pump with a walbro job, utallising the standard fuel strainer in order to maximise fuel supply.. I also have full intention of grounding my MAF tomorrow but heres the thing that has me worried. I weas leaving town tonight with a bit of enthusiasm and was taking a corner rather vigorously when all of a sudden the car lost power completly. Simply, the cars front end dived down, loosing all power completly. As soon as i lifted the throttle, everything was fine but naturally i am a little worried. Now i can only think that it can be 3 things;

Lack of fuel to the fuel pump- the light did come on momentarily as i came round the corner and as the power was lost. Having seen into the tank i can only assume that wired 'block' to the right of the pump (looking to the front of the car) is the fuel level sender. it was a long corner where the car was in a state of heavy roll for 20-30 seconds. could it also be something silly like an airlock in the fuel system thanks to the change of fuel pump? or is that ludicrous?

Det sensor, though it has not thrown a fault code, could it be intermittent?

I also have an AFC that i have not touched. Could this be messing arround with the signal, causing poor fuel supply? It is currently set to 0, which i can only assume is factory setting, but does this over ride the ECU's ability to learn?

Can anyone suggest anything else? The car is running a little over stadnard boost, though i am likely to remove the boost increase until i get this sorted.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
It sounds like fuel surge, especially if your fuel light is coming on.
What boost are you running and what are you taking the reading from? Standard gauge or an aftermarket one?

M

mynheers_a_pint

I'm running 11.5psi, set by my boost controller. The boost reading is coming from the controller (blitz SBC II, the one with the screen) which could be a bit of a dubious reading, but i'm fitting a mechanical guage today to check that as well- it was another worry i had.

EDIT# i know thats a pretty random boost to run but where the controller ison a scale of 0-100 i thought i would go with '20' which equated to 11.5psi. the reason for this was at the time of installation, i still had a stadnard fuel pupm and didn't fancy everything going pearshapped.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mynheers_a_pint

hi all. thanks for your responses.

I spent yesturday going over everything. I have re-earthed the pump and my MAF sensor and filled the tank. So far so good. It seems to have also ironed out the flat spot at 6k which is a bonus. I will continue to monitor it but i'm hoping that fuel surge is the issue as opposed to more serious engine issues.

Cheers.

antgtir

Try sourcing a known good MAF and try that on yours.

Mine played silly buggers with me numerous times and i did exactly the same as you i.e. replacing all ignition parts and fueling parts including pump and it turned out to be the damn MAF.

The car felt very sluggish and would bog down when under acceleration, gradually it got worse which helped with the sourcing of the problem.

Campbelju lent me hish good MAF and that sorted all the issues in one foul swoop lol. Worth a go.

Ant.