Unichip question

SickBoy

Hi guys

i Have a datesk unichip fitted. This sat im havin me clutch changed by mike if battery is disconected will my chip lose its programme or will it be ok ??

Lee 8)

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
This one has come up before so you should be able to find it if you search the archives...

Think the verdict was that it'll be fine if you disconnect the battery... :wink:

Rishi

SickBoy

Oops sorry guys very tired forgot to do a seach :oops: :oops:

well couldn't be arsed really :p very tired

Lee 8)

any answers still welcomed

kyepan

The uni chip with the map should be an eprom, (programable read only memory)It will probably have its own internal battery like the eprom (containing the bios) on your Pc motherboard..

not to be confused with ram (random access memory, found in pc's) which looses its data if no power is going through it,

:roll: geek alert :roll:

standard ecus and superchips are roms.. i think.. one programmed they are set in stone and require no power to remember..
mappable ones like unichip, fcon, mines are eproms.. so they have an internal powersource to remember the data.

i'm not totally sure about this.. would love to know for sure.

J

Jon T

An EPROM retains its contents until it is exposed to ultraviolet light. The ultraviolet light clears its contents, making it possible to reprogram. To write to and erase an EPROM, you need a special device called a PROM programmer or PROM burner.

Once data has been written onto a ROM chip, it cannot be removed and can only be read.

PC BIOS's are slightly different in that the CMOS retains certain (limited) custom settings and the time/date, and they use flash rom's which can be updated.
[/i]