Ultimate Turbo upgrade and mods

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Please lets try and be productive and have a complete tread without reverting to squabbling, pi**taking or sexual insults. Hopefully this tread will benefit us all.

This is a post designed to try help us all to find the Ultimate Turbo upgrade and mods necessary for an R’ used as an 340 - 360bhp every day driver. The car will not be used on the strip or used on track days but will be driven hard and used as a fast road car only. I'm going to base this on the mods I've already done and planing to do to my R' as ultimately this is what I want to achieve.
I choose the 340 - 360bhp as this seems to be the upper power limit of a good condition, looked after or reconditioned standard gearbox if treated sympathetically (No 6k Launches).

Heres a list of the mods on the car to date

17" Lenso S7 Alloys
Godspeed 325 disk/4 pot front brake Kit
Godspeed 285 drilled/groved rear disks
Goodridge Steel braided flexi brake lines
Hiteq 30mm lowering springs on std shocks
Mocal 15 bar Thermostatic Oil cooler
Skyline R32 Front mount Intercooler
Custom 2 3/4" pipe run for above
K & N 57i Inlet Filter
Stainless Inlet Hard Pipe to move inlet behind light
Moved battery
Removed air con
HKS inlet/Exhuast 264 cams
Full Turbo back Mongoose
Walbro 225lpm Fuel pump
Cusco Upper front strut brace
Cusco Lower 4 point Strut brace
HKS Cerimetalic 4 paddle clutch
Lightened and Balanced Std Flywheel
Turbo Dynamics MD214S rollerbearing Turbo
Dawes Device set @ 1.25 bar boost

Planed Mods to add to and replace some of the above mods (ETO - March / April 2004)

New rebuilt engine & head + above HKS 264 cams will be used
(halfway through rebuilding spare engine, everything replaced with new parts, all lightened and balanced e.t.c.)
Arias 86.5mm forged pistons (Ceramic coated crown + slipper coated rings)
600 - 700cc Sard injectors (might be OTT what do you think ? will 550cc be enough)
Apexi Power FC + it’s boost controller
Q45 (90mm) MAF with K & N to suit
Powerstation Anti-bumpsteer kit
Whiteline handling kit (rear anti roll bar)
3" dump pipe / front pipe to first box on the goose
Eventually a Quafe gear set for Gearbox

Now the question is what turbo do I use along with the new planned mods.

My thoughts were a GT2835, 4” inlet and 2” hose fit outlet, with the 56 trim compressor and .86 AR turbine housing, this is the biggest this one comes I think, it’s the pro version apparently.

Or the GT3037 in one of it’s smaller trims, a bit laggy I think and maybe OTT for a Fast road car.

Any opinions on the mods so far and the planned Mods and any other turbo’s spring to mind?
If you were going to add any other mods to aid the cars drivability what would you add ?

jonee

engine mods

hi,sounds good so far.your injectors that you want are not ott mine runs 900cc inj with a twin fuel pump setup but this gives crap consumption if the car is used everyday.the bumpsteer kit is ok but when you open the packet there ain't a lot in it.any quality camber kit works.the gearbox is a tricky one,there are a lot box builders in oz so it would pay you to ask a few of our colonial friends as they appeer to have built some monster power Rs and they seem to have had no box probs.if you are interested i do have a few web sites of interest.good luck with your R

E

Edd

i think if your only planning on running 340-460bhp then a 3037 is wasted and overkill, you'll have better driveability with a smaller turbo that spools up quicker

skiddusmarkus

The turbo you have is perfect for the power you want IMO.Is the car on the road at the moment(ie have you driven on that turbo)?I have the same turbo and for the brief time I drove it even though it was running poo and needed mapping,the turbo spooled very quickly(about 500rpm quicker than standard).Mapping would have seen it spool even quicker.The topend was a lot stronger than standard too with more power all way up revrange.The last trip down to Santa Pod,Sickboy asked how much boost I was running and commented how quick it was on only 1bar.He also sad he could hear it missing but that's another matter :cry: .
If I were you,I'd polish inside the inlet&exhaust manifold.Ceramic coat all the exhaust components(inc manifold and turbine housing),get some vernier pulleys,Forge pulleys and have the head polished.Then all you need is some new engine management with 1.4+bar and you'll have a devastating road machine.

A

Anonymous

sorry edd but i`ve got to agree with dirty underpants on the turbo size.
if you`re only looking for 340-360 bhp a turbo that will only flow enough for 380-390bhp would be perfect and as simon says,spool up a lot quicker and be more suitable as a fast road car.

would the uprated t28 from norris[?] not be perfect and quite cheap as well.

the 700cc injectors would be perfect for that power level and still leave a little in reserve.

E

Edd

what do you mean bruce???
I said the 3037 was too big for that power and should use a smaller turbo, like the one he has :?

Nad

Fettled T28 on roller bearing should get u that easily and with great response. For some reason I have thought about going back to a smaller turbo good for 400bhp but having full boost by 2k for hillclimbing :lol:

Nad

A

Anonymous

Edd said:
what do you mean bruce???
I said the 3037 was too big for that power and should use a smaller turbo, like the one he has :?
sorry mate,had a blonde moment there :oops:
or poss an old senile moment :oops: :oops:

E

Edd

i hope there's some spare room in your local old folks home :wink: :lol:

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
OK , lets take it a step further and set the goal for 360 - 380 or even 400bhp, but still only a fast road car only

What are your thoughts now.

At this level of power where are the weak links in the chain (apart from the gearbox)

Those of you running this sort power what have you done to your gearbox to cope with the extra power and do you get any problems or wish you'd chosen another option.

I think Lex runs a GT2835, anybody know what the rest of his spec is and what power his R' puts out

E

Edd

you can find lex's spec on www.japukmeets.co.uk

basically he has hiteq engine rebuild, quiaffe box, os giken clutch, powerfc, 600cc injectors, front mount, and gareet equivalent 2835
but his has a large A/R and doesnt really come onto its own until 4th and 5th gear where it embbaraases a lot of high owered cars on his local motorway :shock: :lol:

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Sorry Mods but being a pushy bugger I'm TRYING AGAIN through apparent lack of interest :?

OK, after having a moment to think about it I'm going to take it a step further and set the goal for 360 - 380- 400bhp, but still a fast road car only.
At this level of power where are the weak links in the chain (apart from the gearbox) in the standard car with the mods I'm adding as above.

Those of you running this sort power
What boost are you running on which Turbo :?:

and what have you done to your gearbox to cope with the extra power and do you get any problems or wish you'd chosen another option.

E

Edd

I'll be running an HKS 3037 on 1.6 bar and hope to get 400bhp, but might be bit laggy for what your after.

As to weak links, youve got the engine sorted, you'll need a decent clutch, personally a twin plate is the only real choice for continued grip and reliabilty, als i think if you want peace of mind you need a quiaffe box :( :(

skiddusmarkus

I'd still say you're turbo is good for that.It's rated at 1.8bar by TD but I've been advised by a tuner that it would be better at 1.6bar.That should see you at between 360-380 if you get everything else geared up to it in the rebuild.