Tyre width tolerances on 16x7 alloys.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
I’m running 16” alloys that are 7” wide. I have at the moment been offered some new tyres for track use and they are perfect apart from one point – they are 225mm wide.

Can I get 225mm wide tyres (225/45/16) on 16x7” alloys? Does anyone run or have ever run this kind of set up

Any information would be helpful on this matter. :-D

Cheers

P

pulsarboby

andy il be running 235 full slicks on 7'' rims so youll be fine with those

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I ran 225/40s before on my 7x16s with no problems. They were just a crap tyre imo.

Bear in mind your 225s are 45 profile so will have a slightly bigger diammeter and so possibly less clearance around them.

P

pulsarboby

il let you know today as they were just delivered down workshop and il be down there a bit later.
il take a photo of one next to a standardish tyre on a 17'' rim

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Andy, it depends on your tyre but whatever tyre they are they will be big.

Diameter wise its like fitting 18" wheels. they will go but you will need spacers and you will get rubbing on turning at the fronts.

For racing neither is a major problem but if you're thinking on the road you might need a second set.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
campbellju said:
Andy, it depends on your tyre but whatever tyre they are they will be big.

Diameter wise its like fitting 18" wheels. they will go but you will need spacers and you will get rubbing on turning at the fronts.

For racing neither is a major problem but if you're thinking on the road you might need a second set.
Cheers for the photo’s Bob.

Thanks for the info Jim, they will be for track! I picked up 4 new A048-R very cheap (never used) 8) 8) 8) 8)

…and yes I am I git! :-D ;-) 8)

P

pulsarboby

on the subject of tyres, does anyone know the cheapest place to buy toyo r888 or similar semi slicks?

ive a bit of a prob with the slicks i bought as i cant get them under the front arches:doh:
so im gonna run full slicks at the rear and toyos or similar semi slicks on the front axle

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Andy, how did you get on with these tyres in the end? I saw you used them at TOTB but I don't know if you had any rubbing issues etc?

I'm sure Stu would be interested in having a closer look as we have talked about that tyre size for a while but most people have had bad rubbing issues.