Turbos From The States

tomble

Hello Everyone,

Saw this turbo for sale on ebay.com

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/T28-...ewItemQQcategoryZ33742QQitemZ8017301436QQrdZ1

I dont think the price is too bad considering (unless you get stung on the import tax?)

I couldnt see a clear mark of the manufacturer, a friend of mine with an s13 bought a gt28r from the uk ebay under the impression that it was a Garrett unit, and it came turned out to be made by an American company by the name "DSM". Might have to email them and request this before bidding...

Any opinions anyone?

Tom

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Have a good look at the internals spec too... The turbo components...

You can't just look at a turbo and say its the same... the only way to check is to know the internal spec or so take the turbo apart and look...

Make sure that it will meet your power goals...

Rishi

boucherie

well ive taken the plunge and brought this turbo so as soon as its here il let you know more details about it such as codes etc. i wonder how much import tax needs to be paid :cry:

rayman75

boucherie said:
well ive taken the plunge and brought this turbo so as soon as its here il let you know more details about it such as codes etc. i wonder how much import tax needs to be paid :cry:

get them to send it as a gift, or tell them to put $40 on the parcel, then it should go through customs.

M

Mr Overboooost

make sure they send the turbo with the right spec for 400bhp as you can hardly send it back when youve got it.

cheers
gary

boucherie

well my turbo arrived today from the states :lol: 8) I can confirm that it is a GARRETT one with a 4" inlet and A/R .70 (if you want more details then ask & il try to help out :!:)
Total cost including import tax is just under £500 which isnt bad considering it arrived in a week :!:

All ive got to do now is take the old turbo off, and realign the intercooler pipe so its in the same position as the old turbo, then il be on the look out for 850cc injectors and an ecu :wink:

I will update you all on progress as by the time this gets fitted we will have our 3" elbows in production

boucherie

what would you suggest then, as ive heard rumours that 555's wont be upto the task :? and you can get a set of 850's for just over £200

Rishi

Your turbo is pretty much a Garrett spec GT2540...

So based on that you are looking at 450bhp @ 1.6bar... Peak bhp/torque efficiency @ about 2.0 - 2.1bar...

850cc injectors are taking the piss... :shock:

SARD 600cc should manage fine... SARD 700cc to be safe and have a little left in the bag...

Rishi

M

Mr Overboooost

standard A/Ris .64 so i wouldnt have thought having one of .70 would be good for 450bhp.
i would havethought it would need to be at least .86 but then that would only just make 450 it also depends on what size the housing is aswell.

if anyone thinks this isnt right then please correct me :wink:

cheers
gary

Rishi

gtir.spares said:
standard A/Ris .64 so i wouldnt have thought having one of .70 would be good for 450bhp.
i would havethought it would need to be at least .86 but then that would only just make 450 it also depends on what size the housing is aswell.

if anyone thinks this isnt right then please correct me :wink:

cheers
gary

Ok then, you're not right... :wink:

Rishi

Rishi

Compressor A/R of 0.7 is enough to flow 750bhp+

Compressor A/R

0.6 - 500bhp
0.7 - 750bhp+
0.8 - 1000bhp