TURBO- WET FLOATING BEARINGS?

S

seanleed

All it means is that the turbo shaft rotates in a bush lubricated by oil, just a standard turbo :!:

S

seanleed

Nothing like a ball bearing turbo. Spool up is slower on a floating bearing arrangement because all of the shaft is in contact with the bush through its length (say 10mm for arguments sake). On a ball bearing, the shaft goes through the inner race of the bearing and the outer race is held in place by the turbo housing, between the two races are the balls of the bearing. When the shaft starts to rotate, the inner race turns with it and it all rotates on the balls between the two races. As there isn't a lot of surface area in contact with the races (put a marble on a table and see how much of it is touching anything) frictional losses are seriously reduced and as an added bonus there shouldn't be as much float on the turbo shaft either :D
Well, that's my opinion anyway. There's plenty of people out there that have a lot more knowledge than me and if I've made any mistakes I'm sure they'll put me right.
If I get a chance later on I'll rip my old turbo to bits and put some pics up of a floating bearing set up